registry backup means hd backup?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

magnet

Youngling
suppose........today i export registry to desktop...and later copy the file on a writable cd......tomm my hd crashes somehow.....i get a new hd now....will importing the reg means i have installed old s/w????if so then how does it is possible???????????

technovice

Broken In
nope importing the registry wont mean that the old s/w will work
youll need to reinstall the s/w once again!!

suppose if only your registry had been somehow altered
and you could not run a specific program say...
only then would the imported registry be useful in the sense it will restore the old registry values and thus enable your old s/w to work again
(although it might create some unwanted problems as well....as it did in my case....i could not run the recently installed apps and also some links to old s/w that had been uninstalled suddenly turned up!)

Techmastro

Journeyman
@magnet
Registry is used to keep track of various softwares, processes installed on OS .It keeps various keys , sub keys which contains info about those softwares etc
Exporting the registry can help u in the way if some how u alter it and specific program get corrupted or refuse to run u can import it back to make thing work again

OP
M

magnet

Youngling
yup thks for the reply...but i was little confuse and suddenly this question arised in my head.....thks i think i got the answer........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom