Regarding mobo and Ram.. Plsss help me out guys

Viswanathan

Journeyman
Plsss help me out guys i made a terrible mistake :( ... Day before yesterday i ordered this product from primeabgb Ripjaws-X F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL ( Buy Gskill RAM | G Skill Memory | G Skill 4GB RAM | Gskill India ).. I thought it was a 4GB single stick and ordered 2 nos. but i received the product and realized its a 4 X 2GB sticks ( i..e two 4GB kits ).. I really wanted to go for 2 X 4GB sticks..

I am jus really really worried man cuz i jus read this from another forum superuser.com it says:-

4 sticks would cause more strain on the memory controller and motherboard chipset. It would take slightly longer for the CPU to add and retrieve data from 4 sticks as opposed to 2.

For this reason, 2 x 4GB would be faster then 4 x 2GB.

EDIT - there is a much better technical explanation on EE to enforce my answer, although it does mention lower sized sticks:

It's better to use 2 2GB modules -- not for any appreciable speed difference (although there may be a small advantage -- more in a bit) -- but for a more reliable memory subsystem.

Most desktop systems use unbuffered RAM modules -- this results in very large loads on the address and data buses when you have more than 2 modules installed, and can significantly degrade the signalling on these buses. The memory subsystem "sees' one load per memory chip -- so with 2 modules installed, that's up to 32 loads (with double-sided modules) ... and with 4 modules installed that's as many as 64 electrical loads on the bus. Some systems automatically adjust for this higher load by either increasing the voltage a small amount; reducing the clock frequency of the memory (thus slightly slowing it down); or by adding a cycle to the SPD's latency setting (again, slightly slowing it down). These adjustments help keep the memory subsystem reliable -- but mean that 4 x 1GB modules would be slightly slower than 2 x 2GB modules on these systems. But regardless of whether there's any timing differences, the memory will definitely be more reliable with only 2 modules.

Pls advise guys is it wise to go with 4 X 2GB RAM.. Will it really cause voltage probs on mobo?.. Is anyone using 4 X 2GB RAM?... Pls help me out...

Thanks in advance.. :)

P.S sorry for creating another thread cuz i thought if i ask this question in motherboard section there would me reply from mobo experts and would be appropriate..

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
As long as you're motherboard supports more than 2 sticks and you have a capable PSU I think there should'nt be any problem.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ Viswanathan - if you are running everything at stock speed ( no OCing ) then you should be fine - don't worry too much about volts - the mobos auto setting will take care of those anyway ;-)

Top Bottom