red hat don't have drivers for S3 ProSavage DDR KM266

Status
Not open for further replies.

deppen_s

Right off the assembly line
i'm useing AMD 2000+ with MSI mother board with S3 ProSavage DDR KM266 with 256 MB Ram . i have 2 HDD 80 and 40 GB. now i'm try to install Red Hat on my 40 Gb Hdd, i'm using gui base installer. in hardware detection its install my graphic card as S3 ProSavage DDR KM166, i thinks it don't have drivers for my card so after hardware detection my screen turn in black and my monitor shows refresh rate error. i'm useing LG StudioWorks 500G 15" monitor. i also tryed knoppix its also showes same problem. i'm not useing dule boot for linux. tell me how can i solve my problem. Thankx :)

ujjwal

Padawan
Even if the card is not supported, you should be able to get it to run as an SVGA card. This might be a problem with your monitor not getting detected correctly, try to see in the configuration whether your monitor is listed, else choose generic monitor and run it at 640x480 and 256 colours. After it runs, you can download the latest version of XFree86 and see if you can run at enhanced settings.

BTW, which version of redhat did you use?

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
- run text based installer instead to get linux up and running first . later u can install the drivers .
- does the msi m/b have the via km266 chipset ??
- if so try viaarena.com . they have options where u can choose the drivers for ur particular linux version . its a bit hard to figure , but they also provide a pdf guide , just below the drivers in the download page .
- tell me if it works . pclinux has some 3d desktop i havent been able to make it work . see if u can run it . i think u can install it on ur version of RHL , which ever it is

OP
D

deppen_s

thankx for help

well i'm useing red hat 9.0. i allready tryed text base installer but problem is still there. i can't change my drivers setting, even i don't know how to change this setting. this problem i also faceing in knoppix. well this time i'm checking on ur site viaarena.com lets c what i get. tell u 1 thing i'm new for linux and i want to try it

ujjwal

Padawan
In the console of linux, type "xconf" this should allow you to configure the graphics card and monitor ...

OP
D

deppen_s

how can i go to console wondow if i can't c any thing, i can't change my setting and my driver cd dosen't have linux drivers. i all ready installed linux on my hdd useing my friends system, but when i start linux in my system its shows this error. is there any other way to solve my problem and on via site i coulden't find any thing and also tell me easy way to install drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom