Recommend me a wireless Gateway and a good keyboard, graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
also found this in one blog:

I had no problem connecting in any of these modes, and was disappointed to see a 33% throughput penalty using WPA2/AES, which provides the best secured performance. This is similar to the 30% throughput hit of the D-Link DIR-655 / DWA-652 combination.

Both WEP 128 and WPA/TKIP reduce throughput by around 50%. Unlike the D-Link DIR-655, the 834B doesn't switch to legacy 802.11b/g mode when WEP is used.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
btw, I totally forgot to ask you. Do you have wireless - N card on your all your pcs or laptops?

No,

But is it mean that I can't use b/g product ?

Why I am looking for wireless router ?

In my family:-

1. 2 phones(mine),1 Ipod Touch,1 Laptop all are (not N) need Internet sharing....This lapy needs file sharing too occasionally.

2. I have 3 Desktop (now) which connected via an Intex Hub 10Mbps is almost reached it's end of life. My Dataone modem also connected to this hub.
File transfered between the 3 PC very painful process due to 10Mbps speed.

3.Have plan to go for a Laptop in 2010 for myself...I don't know what will be the standered on then ?

My hub is almost dead...and I don't want to invest another stupid device..but a future proof device...and that a wireless router...My desktop remain wired that is for sure.

My budget is 5k. Now which is most suitable in my scenario ?

N.B:- I don't want to ADSL+ feature, because just couple of moths ago my BB Modem died and BSNL replace with a brand new one for free.
So I stick with Rental scheme.

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
see, if you do not have any device with 802.11n, there is no point in paying extra price for 802.11n router. you can get a good b/g router for 2.5k. And since you have a budget of 5k and if you have a big house with lot of rooms, putting two 802.11 b/g routers in two areas gives you lot more coverage than putting up a single 802.11n router and underutilizing it.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
also found this in one blog:

I had no problem connecting in any of these modes, and was disappointed to see a 33% throughput penalty using WPA2/AES, which provides the best secured performance. This is similar to the 30% throughput hit of the D-Link DIR-655 / DWA-652 combination.

Both WEP 128 and WPA/TKIP reduce throughput by around 50%. Unlike the D-Link DIR-655, the 834B doesn't switch to legacy 802.11b/g mode when WEP is used.

Is that mean that I can't use WEP protection in those b/g device ? Or is that mean when I use non N device, Am I force to go UN-protected Wi-Fi ? This is important,as we all know about the vulnerability of unprotected Wi-Fi.

desiibond said:
see, if you do not have any device with 802.11n, there is no point in paying extra price for 802.11n router. you can get a good b/g router for 2.5k. And since you have a budget of 5k and if you have a big house with lot of rooms, putting two 802.11 b/g routers in two areas gives you lot more coverage than putting up a single 802.11n router and underutilizing it.

True what u r saying,but even now Dell Also providing 802.11a/g/n facility with there Studio 15 midrange.

So next year maybe all Lappies come with N option,So what I do then ?Again Upgrading the router ?

I don't have a big house though but I have 3 rooms in Ground floor & two in 1st floor,If that model give the Wi-Fi connectivity in the Ground floor,It will be more than enough for me.

As I saw product demo on the net,this model doesn't have any dead spot.

And BTW I just came to know, D-Link Dir-655 is Gigabit Router,So I think it will be more than 5K in Kolkata.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
That means that if you use WEP, the transfer rate will slow down.

yes. if you buy a router next year, you may have to change if you get a b/g router now. still, getting a 2.5k router now and then much better and faster one next year for same price (total at 5k) will be a good option right?

dissel

Cyborg Agent
That means that if you use WEP, the transfer rate will slow down.

yes. if you buy a router next year, you may have to change if you get a b/g router now. still, getting a 2.5k router now and then much better and faster one next year for same price (total at 5k) will be a good option right?

hmmm......I think I need to drop the Idea of Wi-Fi Router... :-( ..or at least wait till September for announcement of Standardization of N.

BTW, Next year I plan to purchase Dell (Probably XPS variant) Lappy, So I decide to Invest in a Wi-Fi router this year as well as my slow Hub died & I want to discarded it anyway.

with this device I can get a Wi-Fi (n) option ready in my home, In the mean time rest of device use it...That was my thought :idea::idea:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom