Recommend a Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

khandu

In the zone
Recommend a Modem Chip for me ( Internal )

which has FREE Linux drivers and most common support..

I use more RHEL & FC

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
The chip that has free drivers is the motorola chip m56 or something But setting up this too is a pain if you are going for a new modem and that too for linux please buy an external modem Dlink 560S is a good and cheap buy.

cool_dude_prav

In the zone
Try buying the HP56 Micromodem aka HSP56 Micromodem...

The drivers are available @ Lin-Modems

But I would recommend you use External Modem as @Pradeep has said... Coz i cant guarantee that the drivers from Lin-Modems will work!! ;)

Cheers!!!

] K8)8)L [

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Tell us more what interfacr does it use, USB? If its RS232 it will work straight away, otherwise a problem. Also checkout their website for details. The thing is till such time you dont have the item its difficult to give a correct comment on it so try all genric things like visit dealers website, ask their tech support, etc etc...

OP
K

khandu

In the zone
cool_dude_prav said:
Try buying the HP56 Micromodem aka HSP56 Micromodem...

The drivers are available @ Lin-Modems

But I would recommend you use External Modem as @Pradeep has said... Coz i cant guarantee that the drivers from Lin-Modems will work!! ;)

Cheers!!!

] K8)8)L [

I already have a HSP56 Micromodem.. but it is not supported by 2.6.x kernel.. I have been in chat with the developer of driver myself for a month.. and we are trying to get a driver for the latest kernels..

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
I already have a HSP56 Micromodem.. but it is not supported by 2.6.x kernel.. I have been in chat with the developer of driver myself for a month.. and we are trying to get a driver for the latest kernels..

same with me.If you get one let me know please.

OP
K

khandu

In the zone
Well,

Me and Robert Thornburrow ( The person in Linmodem ) had a chat of about 23 emails.. and he came up with this driver for FC3 ( 2.6.x ) for HSP 56 Micromodem Internal

I have uploaded it here

*rapidshare.de/files/1442778/pctel-0_1_.9.7-9-rht-4pre7.tar.gz.html

I did manage to install it.. But I did not test is as my FC3 Kppp was not working properly..

Try wvdial and test it..

Hope it works for all HSP56 Micromodem users and Kernel 2.6.x

h4xbox

Journeyman
tata indicom uses com1 port.
It has an inbuilt modem inside the phone with
a speed of 33500 bps.
What are the drivers and pls give me the
email address of mr.thornburrow.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
h4xbox said:
tata indicom uses com1 port.
It has an inbuilt modem inside the phone with
a speed of 33500 bps.
What are the drivers and pls give me the
email address of mr.thornburrow.

GOOD NEWS you need no drivers just attach your tele modem to serial port and down load wvdial and configure it (wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf) to run by using the serial port 0 thats it.

h4xbox

Journeyman
@pradeep_chauhan:
gr8 info...pradeep.
I think in knoppix wvdial is there ?? But Iam not sure.

@khandu : I wud like know abt mr.thornburrow and his email. PM me man.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
noe to configure say wvdial give the command as root
#wvdialconfig /etc/wvdial.conf

then open the file /etc/wvdial.conf in say vi and add the username password and tele no Also adda line
Stupid Mode =1
thats it to connect give the command wvdial & and you are on the net

h4xbox

Journeyman
I used different hardware port choices of kppp and got a msg
like modem ready. I also got two buttons log and cancel.

It did not connect ... see yo pm pradeep.

rohitsz

Broken In
TATA INDICOM WLL works with Linux.

Chech this out to try connecting TATA Walky on linux. i successfully did it with the TATA INDICOM WLL phone..

here's the link...

*www.mail-archive.com/ilugd@lists.linux-delhi.org/msg09712.html

hope this help.

h4xbox

Journeyman
Saw the page..but my knoppix is gone..so i guess i have to wait until i get another distro. ( coz knoppix doesnt seem to have a suitable xserver for my pc)

Error i get is "INIT "x" respawning too fast : stopped for 5 minutes" then i type startx in console it says a lotsa errors...and again....now latest developments is only one error...cloop error(gnurag told me that clopp error means cd gone) So i burned its ISO into a new cd-rw disc .. still no avail i get the same error :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom