Recomend a processor fo rme on socket 478

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
2 weeks ago suddenly I found out a very old motherboard of mine lying in our basement. The motherboard is: AsRock P4i45GV r5.0
The motherboard is still working tested with a celeron processor. Also found out a 1GB DDR RAM.
Now I've plans to use it as a download rig and now the last thing I need a good (sh!tty pentium 4) processor.

Thought about this one: Pentium 4 HT 550 (G1)
Link: Click here

Is that good? Can the motherboard handle this? Or any other Pentium 4 HT processor?? Please recommend.

Well, found another one: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor supporting HT Technology 3.06 GHz, 512K Cache, 533 MHz FSB

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i used asrock i65gv mobo with PIV 3GHz prescott for 6 yrs.btw power consumption will be much higher compared to something like atom setup.also use only default cpu/fsb settings in bios meaning no underclocking to reduce power usage if you are thinking about this.

ashis_lakra

Gaming Unlimited
Celeron isn't underpowered for downloading. Why upgrade to already extinct versions of Pentium 4 ?

I've Celeron 800 MHZ based PC too, and it's running fine with Windows XP and some programs like Office 2007, Tally 9 ERP, Visual Fox Pro etc and i'm downloading files using that PC.

Yes, If you're downloading torrent and suppose electricity goes in middle, then expect to wait around 30 mins to resume 8GB torrent. It checks the File contents of torrent which goes very slow.

OP
d6bmg

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
@whitestar_999: I don't worry about power consumption.
@ashis_lakra: yes, you can say that celeron is not that bad, but after all its celeron. While testing the motherboard with the celeron I have it took 7-10 minutes just to start up! :shock: So, I think it would be too slow to handle. So, I was asking for a good P4 processor.

Top Bottom