Ready to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vivek788

In the zone
I have been having lots of hardware issues recently,causing me to reinstall my windows and sometimes my linux also.Even now I have 12 gb ext3 partition used by hardy...only half used.
I have a heavy install over here..in the sense..quite a lot of packages that I might use(with 78% chance).Also there are configurations and programs(scripts).I want to know how I can make a ready to use Linux for myself.Quite like backing up..I want to burn a cd/dvd from which I can restore the same Linux I use now, bootable disc that installs fresh but with these packages in repository.
Is there any software that allows creating such rescue disks or should I put my packages in folders like the live cd has and make it an image and burn?I can write scripts otherwise to tar and burn all packages onto media.

This is needed because the time needed to search and install previously installed softwares and plugins in Linux is as painful as in Windows,especially when Linux provides so much and many are CLI programs that I may not remember to search after an install...

OP
Vivek788

Vivek788

In the zone
I didn't understand most of what is given in that manual.Can't I just write a script to tar my /var/cache/apt/archives contens and schedule it to executed using cron.There must be some option in some of the default archive managers to append new files.So whenever I want,I can add it to a ubuntu cd image already with me and burn to get my customized version na?
won't it work if I just put the new entries listed appropriately.
If it will,then I wud like to know how that part is done..adding my files and making it part of my repository that I can get as a list in synaptic manager,without having to download packs next time.

mediator

Technomancer
U want to go with the second part that I listed? Well, that maintains a list of packages u have in 'Packages.gz' as u can see.

But I would advise that u use a pen drive instead of a CD, coz u can either burn it completely or as an appendable CD. In former case its easy, to burn it everytime u update ur "cached packages". In the latter, the same file i.e Packages.gz may not me appendable.

So if u want an appendable solution, then use a Pen drive instead. Tell when u r done with the "2nd part" and I will give u my script that automates, the subsequent task of "caching n rebuilding" the repository.

Its hard to understand at first, but read it carefully and u will understand it.

OP
Vivek788

Vivek788

In the zone
Hm..I installed package called backup2l which allows incremental backups.It was there in synaptic.
I will try that out parallely.Btw I can't afford to keep a pen drive for this.I just want a disc which can restore my current packages.I won't be installing too many over this.

F

FilledVoid

.I just want a disc which can restore my current packages.I won't be installing too many over this.
AptOnCD as pointed to you above.

OP
Vivek788

Vivek788

In the zone
my hard disk crashed and after hours of drama...finally allowed me to fix it by reinstalling grub..so I went on to do aptoncd...but.i had removed everything from the folders using clean or some option in apt-get.only 54 mb remained tat too not much useful ones.So,I am making a google doc of what all to download next time and then I will surely do a proper AptOnCd.
Now I only have to make one similar one for windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom