Raspberry Pi or Beagleboard?

Rajdeep Banik

Broken In
Hi, I need a PC for our shop. The main requirement is using excel (or Calc in Libreoffice) for sorting data. The data is like,

1st column: Product name 2nd column: Quantity 3rd column: Expiry date

I need to enter the names and values and sort these data sometimes along 'Quantity' and sometimes along 'Expiry date'. This will be the only function of the PC. So, if anyone has used Raspberry Pi, please tell me how good is it at sorting?

Also, the Beagleboard has more processing power, but the Raspberry Pi has more USB ports and more community support.
I might also add a printer later on.
There will be no internet connectivity, so how can I install Libreoffice? :-?
I need two USB ports for mouse and keyboard and maybe one for the printer! Also, pi is cheaper than the Beagleboard.

icebags

Technomancer
ur requirement sounds like that of a full fledged pc. why dont u get a combo motherboard or something like a sempron setup with 1-2 gb of ram, raspberry pi and beagle bone are more for hardware / embedded development platform, don't expect much processing power from them for desktop savvy office use.

OP
Rajdeep Banik

Rajdeep Banik

Broken In
Main problem is space. A desktop takes a lot of space and also power consumption. A pi can run for Hours with a standard ups.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
what is your budget?

Why not go for intel NUC?

- - - Updated - - -

or just buy any cheap Android mini PC and pair it with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Raspberry Bi is too slow for running LibreOffice.

I dunno what GPU Beaglebone Black has or whether it will run X.org.

None of them are alternatives for you. They are simply not suitable for your purpose. "oh, they can be used as computers" sounds fancy but they are simply embedded development boards.

OP
Rajdeep Banik

Rajdeep Banik

Broken In
Odroid looks good but there are no Indian sellers. So, I think I will have to go back to a mini itx pc! :-(
Maybe I will make a custom cabinet to include the display, mobo, hdd together. Might take less space & less wire clutter!

OP
Rajdeep Banik

Rajdeep Banik

Broken In
Ok, finally decieded. Will buy a nexus 7 or assemble a custom mini itx system, whichever is cheaper. Thanks guys for your advices!

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
Odroid looks good but there are no Indian sellers. So, I think I will have to go back to a mini itx pc! :-(
Maybe I will make a custom cabinet to include the display, mobo, hdd together. Might take less space & less wire clutter!
ODROID-U3 don't know if they can be trusted..

Top Bottom