RAM help..

Status
Not open for further replies.

gr8usr

Broken In
i have an asus A7NK66VM motherboard with 256 MB ddr ram.
its 266mhz.. i now need to buy extra ram keeping my old 256 as it is.
here are my querries...
1. Is there a specific brand i should choose?
2. Can the new ram be of different speed than my old ram?
3. What is the best price for 512 mb in pune.
4. Can i have 2 different rams of different size fit in the 2 ram slots my board has?
5.Any general tips..

:D

Crazy_Eddy

Broken In
1. If budget is a concern you could opt for Hynix for around Rs. 2,100. If you can spend the extra 300~400 bucks, the Twinmos or Transcend which come bundled with 3yrs of warranty would be a better bet.
2. Yes, your new RAM can be rated for a different speed. It will automatically downclock to the lowest speed common to both the RAM modules - in your case DDR266.
3. I'm not sure, but i mentioned the prices generally prevalent across India in my 1st point :)
4. Yes, why not?
5. Your board is an A7N266VM i assume, its an nForce1 board which had support for dual-channel memory. Obviously with 2 different sized modules you wont have access to dual-channel memory access, but it never made much of a difference anyway! Do make sure your dealer will be willing to exchange the RAM for another brand/speed in case imcompatibilities arise with your existing RAM. Finally, to be absolutely sure - run a copy of Memtest (*www.memtest86.com) to thoroughly stress test your RAM and make sure they're running error free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom