Query Regarding onboard ethernet !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vwad

In the zone
Hello,

The ethernet which comes on board on the motherboards, is it da same ethernet card that is used to connect to internet when on a cable internet connection or is it something different ?

I mean the 10-100 ethernet card you need b4 starting your cable connection for Rs 750, is this the same one coming on the motherboard itself or is it something different ?

Please enlighten me !!

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Yes it is the same. THe ethernet card is only req for board which dont have onboard LAN capabilities. Since you have a enthernet on board you dont need to buy a seperate card and hence can tell you cable connection people not to charge you for it.

OP
vwad

vwad

In the zone
Yes, Thats the exactly reason why I asked for it. Since I will be able to tell the cable guys that I do have it already.

Thanks icecoolz.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
What is that rs. 750 ?
Is it for the cable internet charge or for ethernet card?

Ethernet cards only rs. 160 (intex)

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
One small note though. You can obviously use the built in Ethernet on your motherboard for your connection, but I would really recommend a PCI Ethernet card instead of the built in card. So,if tomorrow some problem were to affect your line, your chances of a motherboard screw up are slightly lesser if you were to use the PCI card. You may get lucky and escape with just a fried Ethernet card instead of a fried motherboard. I wouldn't have believed such a thing was possible, but a friend of mine just had a sudden screwup with his NIC overnight. It may not have done anything to his motherboard if he'd used the onboard solution, but who knows, he didnt take the risk. He got away with lesser than 200 bucks.

@icecoolz/drgrudge: I dont think they'd be charging him for the Ethernet card anyway and 750 is just for the connection alone.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
These days all UPS have a LAN/Modem protection socket just pass the cable through them and use the on board network interface its now protected against spike surge.

OP
vwad

vwad

In the zone
thanks guys for that important security information you gave me.

its definitely gonna many of my rupees !!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom