Cyberghost

Federal Agent Area 51
Staff member
Quake. Is. Back.

The fast, skill-based arena-style competition that turned the original Quake games into multiplayer legends is making a triumphant return with Quake Champions. Running at an impressive 120hz with unlocked framerates, id Software’s new multiplayer shooter is getting ready to take PC gaming by storm once more.

Quake Champions features a roster of unique characters, each with their own distinctive abilities, allowing you to fight the way you want. . Get your first look at Quake Champions and some of its heroes in the cinematic reveal trailer, debuted during the #BE3 2016 Showcase.

To stay up to date with all the latest information on Quake Champions, head to Quake.com.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Age of Mobas is over, I guess the age of fast paced FPSes have begun (Overwatch, Battleborn, this, Unreal Tournament)

This is class based game like Overwatch, battleborn.. Sad I thought UT actually had competition :/

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
MOBA's have their own player base. Mostly players who play MOBAs don't care much about other games. Because of that MOBAs will continue to exist.

Fun fact: When Overwatch beta was released, the number of players online on every online game dropped by up to 18% except Dota 2 (source).

warfreak

Talk to the hand!!!
MOBA's have their own player base. Mostly players who play MOBAs don't care much about other games. Because of that MOBAs will continue to exist.

Same goes for twitch based Arena FPSes. While the new UT is completely driven by the hardcore UT community, Bethesda are trying to entice the mainstream/casual gamers by trying to re-invent the genre. The Result: Doom. No doubt Doom's singleplayer is beyond awesome, multiplayer, however, is not quite tasteful seeming like an ugly lovechild of COD/BF and Quake. Trailer reminded me a lot more of Overwatch than Quake 3 Arena. We might be looking at an overwatch clone rather than the original Quake 3 Arena. I hope I am wrong though.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Doom's multiplayer was developed by Certain Affinity, not ID. Certain Affinity are known for developing Halo multiplayers. That is why Doom's multiplayer bears a similarity to Halo in many regards.

I hope that Quake Champions is as fast paced as the original Quake 3 though and they might do it that way as well. Quake Live still have many players and they might move to QC too.

There are speculations that Quake Champions might be free to play like Quake Live.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Ranger looks like he put on some weight. :laugh:

I hope the Doom marine returns as Phobos too. I think it will be good as Doom was recently released.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Looks like Quake Champions will be a PC exclusive.

Why Quake Champions Isn't Coming to PS4 and Xbox One - GameSpo

Quake Champions is strictly a PC game, one that Bethesda intends to have running at 120Hz with an uncapped frame rate. It may still come to consoles at some point, but it doesn't seem likely that you'll see the game on the current PS4 and Xbox One. Bethesda marketing boss Pete Hines told GameSpot, "There is not a console that supports our vision for [Quake Champions]."

When asked about Bethesda bringing games like Fallout Shelter to console, Hines said that the Elder Scrolls publisher makes games for platforms that it thinks "is a good idea."

"You know, Quake Champions, maybe anybody else would've been like, 'No, you have to do it, and it's got to work on every platform,'" Hines explained. "We were like, 'No, it's a PC-only thing. It's this kind of game. It's got to have this kind of performance, and it's going to be on PC full stop.' We feel very comfortable in making those calls.

"I guess theoretically there's a chance [it could come to consoles]. Who knows what future consoles look like? But this is full stop a PC product: 120Hz, unlocked frame rate. That's the experience we want folks to have."

Hines also commented on the upcoming consoles, PS4 Neo and Xbox Scorpio, saying that Bethesda is big fans of more robust hardware, though it's still early days and it remains to be seen what kind of impact it will have on development.

Quake Champions' first gameplay trailer was revealed during the QuakeCon opening ceremony, and it showed off the game's fast and frenetic action, full of big guns and rocket jumps.

You can take a look at the entire series with GameSpot's video on The History of Quake.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
PSA: Today is the last day to get this for free.
Save 34% on Quake Champions on Steam

Nvm, offer expired now.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Been playing this over the last week and it feels like authentic Quake deathmatch. Tense and fast-paced.

Edit: Detailed review will come later.

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Looks like free period been extended till June 25th. Get it if you can and keep it forever.

Top Bottom