Status
Not open for further replies.

Imran309

Right off the assembly line
Hi. I'm a fan of Digit since 2003. Theres a lot of stuff that I've learnt through you guys. The products with the latest prices are helping a lot.
I'm an animation students and opting for a rig.
But since these years I haven't found nothing on quadros. I'm intending to buy a quadro fx 1800. But on the other side fx580 is also a better option as my budget is tight.
Would you like to inform me the latest prices of both the cards?
And post a topic of the cards on the magazine itself. Every month I don't see anything related on quadros.

mavihs

Techie By Heart
whats your budget & from where will you be buying the quadros from?
also which all applications you'll be using i.e. 3dMax, Maya, etc?

ATI has just launched there FirePro card based on the 5000series cards for workstation PC for 3D, Rendering, etc work.....you can go for them also!

OP
I

Imran309

Quadreis

My budget is in between from 10000 to 20000 for the card. I was thinking of PNY, that costs for around 18000. what if I went for fx1800 instead of Fx580. Is 580 better than 1700?
And the application are the same as you told. Maya, 3dsmax, Vue, etc.
Ati isn't a better option I think. And what was the best I could get from Ati for around 20000? Would any of its cad go beyond FX1800 at the same price?

mavihs

Techie By Heart
Re: Quadreis

My budget is in between from 10000 to 20000 for the card. I was thinking of PNY, that costs for around 18000. what if I went for fx1800 instead of Fx580. Is 580 better than 1700?
PNY is good! FX580 isn't good, check out the certified list from Autodesk, 580 falls short of the requirement!

And the application are the same as you told. Maya, 3dsmax, Vue, etc.
tell me exactly which all apps you'll be using coz in Maya ATI performs much better where as in 3D Max Nvidia performs a little better!

Ati isn't a better option I think. And what was the best I could get from Ati for around 20000? Would any of its cad go beyond FX1800 at the same price?
the current Quadros in the market are based on the old tech on Nvidia & the Quadro based on Fermi has yet to come, if these cards where based on fermi then i would have had no objection where as ATIs workstation cards based on the latest 5000series chipset have come out & you can check out the 5000series is making NVidia sweat a lot!

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
I would suggest something different..

Get a 4870 1 GB version...
Flash it with FirePro firmware.. and voila.. you have now a brand new ATI FirePro V8700..

*forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=296656
*namzor.blogspot.com/2009/09/modding-ati-4870-into-ati-firegl.html

See above links for more details..

OP
I

Imran309

I checked with it and also with the prices. Is there a better card( more powerful than 4870) that we can convert to workstation card?

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

Shall I go for 4870 x2 and can it be flashed? And please help me on AMD's 6 core processors. Are they better than i7. My budget for a processor is 15000.

mavihs

Techie By Heart
I would suggest something different..

Get a 4870 1 GB version...
Flash it with FirePro firmware.. and voila.. you have now a brand new ATI FirePro V8700..

*forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=296656
*namzor.blogspot.com/2009/09/modding-ati-4870-into-ati-firegl.html

See above links for more details..
they can be converted but aren't reliable for industry grade work coz the drives may coz some problems in the future! Also if you want to go for a consumer grade card the go for 5000series & convert them!

Shall I go for 4870 x2 and can it be flashed? And please help me on AMD's 6 core processors. Are they better than i7. My budget for a processor is 15000.
crossfire won't work with these modded cards!
Also for rendering & those kind of work, AMD Thuban beats the i7 930 & also the higher version of i7s in multi threaded apps! So i suggest you go for AMD 1090T! you should be able to get it below 15K depending on your location! where do you live btw?

rajan1311

Padawan
from the limited reviews i have read, these workstation graphic cards dont make that much of a difference.....and you could always try to softmod it into a workstation one....its the same hardware....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom