Pure Android experience on non-Nexus phones?

Hola!

I have a LG Optimus 2X and pretty happy with it for quite sometime now (my full review here).

I am running LG's stock Gingerbread on it, which works ok. I was wondering if I can have just Android on it, without any tinkering by LG or anyone. Is that possible? That of course means I have to flash it- will I be able to get all the drivers for the device and how? It would be good if someone can guide me with a step-by-step process, since I have never flashed my phone.

Also, GB or ICS?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
will I be able to get all the drivers for the device and how?

drivers for device? mind clarifying what drivers you are pointing to? USB drivers will work regardless of you use Android 1.0 or 4.0. if LG PC suite, please stay a good distance from that crap.

if you want pure Android experience, look for AOSP rom or ROM compiled from sources. cyanogen is a good option but it comes with a ton of useless app. MIUI is just a themed (+ a few unique features) rom & hence avoid. Also checkout Oxygen ROM (Oxygen may have official ver for O2X, else check if someone ported).

PS: i doubt O2X have any fully functional ICS. go fo GB. at least it'll be at the peak of its stability.

OP
MetallosaurusRex

MetallosaurusRex

Broken In
drivers for device? mind clarifying what drivers you are pointing to?

well...probably a n0obish query. I meant just like we install drivers when installing Windows on PC, e.g. drivers for ATI graphics card etc., is it something like that for mobiles too?

Also - does this mean that all Nexus phones come with AOSP android versions? No apps, no UI changes?

Last edited:

Xbox

Inclined to Tech
First Android is not like Windows where you want to install drivers..If you managed to successfully flash a custom ROM, that's enough.. ROM by itself contain everything ..

second you can go to the android market and install required apps that may be misiing in the custom rom like gmail,gtalk etc..

i would say if you are not fully prepared for flashing..don't try it now..
though it is not a tedious task..

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Android do have drivers but thats part of kernel. so no need to worry about that. thats why many custom cooked kernels are available usually.

yes, kind of AOSP. they come with apps but stock google apps. nothing like DSP Manager, Theme Chooser, etc. yes, stock Android UI. but AOSP doesn't guatantee best performance always. performance comes from using better codes (removing all useless parts & right config values) but most of the time AOSP roms are configured to be light (hence fast) & offers better battery.

I have used more than half a dozen different roms on my Optimus One & i must say, AOSP or not just go for lightest rom (that comes with least crap installed). CyanogenMod is good for beginners. play with the settings & then switch to a light rom once you get bored. AND avoid themed roms. themes eat ram & that directly affect battery life.

flashing a kernel may increase performance & battery but don't randomly go flashing. first test a rom for a week then decide.

OP
MetallosaurusRex

MetallosaurusRex

Broken In
Android do have drivers but thats part of kernel. so no need to worry about that. thats why many custom cooked kernels are available usually.

yes, kind of AOSP. they come with apps but stock google apps. nothing like DSP Manager, Theme Chooser, etc. yes, stock Android UI. but AOSP doesn't guatantee best performance always. performance comes from using better codes (removing all useless parts & right config values) but most of the time AOSP roms are configured to be light (hence fast) & offers better battery.

I have used more than half a dozen different roms on my Optimus One & i must say, AOSP or not just go for lightest rom (that comes with least crap installed). CyanogenMod is good for beginners. play with the settings & then switch to a light rom once you get bored. AND avoid themed roms. themes eat ram & that directly affect battery life.

flashing a kernel may increase performance & battery but don't randomly go flashing. first test a rom for a week then decide.

Thanks! this helps. Just one thing...how do I know which one is a "light" ROM? :\

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
well some developers themselve list some rom as light carrying just the basic apps. in anycase, try CyanogenMod & any AOSP rom. performance will be there as your mobile packs quite a bit of processing & graphical muscle. just go for the one that offers best battery life.

Top Bottom