PSU issue? PC randomly turns off and motherboard lights go to breathing mode

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I have an ASUS B350 Prime motherboard running Ryzen 2200G, 8x2 GB RAM, 2 x HDD config supported by VGUARD 600 Slender Plus UPS that had a new battery put in 4 months ago.

Recently I have been noticing that whenever there is a fluctuation in supply voltage, computer shuts down instantly with motherboard lighting going into 'breathing mode' (which is generally when the PC is sleeping) but no amount of pressing power or reset buttons brings it back. Only option is to totally shut off the UPS, wait a while and try to power it on. At this point sometimes it powers up normally but at other times fans spin for a second and die.

My little research on the internet suggests this could be due to faulty PSU. I have got the earthing checked and it seems to be no issue)

As this is my only PC, I don't have a spare PSU or motherboard to cross check.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
How old is the PSU?

The symptoms look like a dying PSU. But could also be a loose contact of RAM or CPU. Try replacing both and check once. Otherwise just replace the PSU.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Called UPS service guy. He checked and said no issues there.

PSU is 4+ years old.

My current supply is highly erratic.

Is there any point in getting PSU serviced?

What would be a good replacement today? Keeping in mind that somewhere down the line I plan to buy a beter processor and a basic graphic card capable of 1080p gaming.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Called UPS service guy. He checked and said no issues there.

PSU is 4+ years old.

My current supply is highly erratic.

Is there any point in getting PSU serviced?

What would be a good replacement today? Keeping in mind that somewhere down the line I plan to buy a beter processor and a basic graphic card capable of 1080p gaming.

I think First thing u shud prefer is to arrange for a stabiliser, as even after fixing this psu, this will keep on recurring till voltage is fixed.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Corsair
RM650
CX650
CV650
VS600

Arranged via their quality. Pick any according to your budget.
I am planning a new build with Ryzen 5600g processor and B550M-A board. Plan to add a GPU (low to midrange) next year.

Is this list still relevant today? RM650 is priced at 8+ K on pcstudio.in right now. Will it be overkill for such a modest system?

My present PSU is CX450 I think.

Top Bottom