ps2 or upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

..:: Free Radical ::..

The Transcendental
keith_j_snyder2 said:
Only Slim one is available but instead get a PSP rather than PS2.A PSP can also run Windows XP even VISTA!!!!!!!!!!
And most importantly.....
ITS HANDY!!
^:rolleyes: Wrong buddy, It cannot run Vista or for that matter even XP.
The thing you are taking about is just an html/flash wallpaper which makes it look as if you are running windows. Don't get ideas. They only recently emulated a stripped down version of Windows95 using an x86 emulator (only got the desktop running), but it is a far cry from running a modern os. There is prospect of porting linux to psp but i dont know if there is any1 doig it right now.
Infact if the poor guy gets himself the wrong firmware from which he won't be able to downgrade, he wont even be able to run homebrew eg. emulators or for the purpose Windows :D
PS2 is a tried and tested product with a lot of available games. Plus,Linux is available for PS2, you can use it more than a game console, add a hdd, and it becomes a Home theatre to which you can transfer your xvids or divx videos to view on a tv. Alsos ur music colection, connect it to your deck speakers and you
got a music system (you'll need an amp though)
u may get a second hand PS2 for Rs. 6000.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
i would say get an XBox 360 , premium system for 16.5k n Core system for 12.5 k , much better than PS2 ,

also nyways PS2 game development is gonna cease so you won't be getting new games for PS2 soon , so 360 is the best choice .

also console gaming rocks . just put the disc n voila game starts :D

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
i would say get an XBox 360 , premium system for 16.5k n Core system for 12.5 k , much better than PS2 ,

Are you sure??? Oh boy..oh boy!! Then I'll get one right away... Where did you get this info from ??

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
..:: Free Radical ::.. said:
^:rolleyes: Wrong buddy, It cannot run Vista or for that matter even XP.
The thing you are taking about is just an html/flash wallpaper which makes it look as if you are running windows. Don't get ideas. They only recently emulated a stripped down version of Windows95 using an x86 emulator (only got the desktop running), but it is a far cry from running a modern os. There is prospect of porting linux to psp but i dont know if there is any1 doig it right now.
Infact if the poor guy gets himself the wrong firmware from which he won't be able to downgrade, he wont even be able to run homebrew eg. emulators or for the purpose Windows :D
PS2 is a tried and tested product with a lot of available games. Plus,Linux is available for PS2, you can use it more than a game console, add a hdd, and it becomes a Home theatre to which you can transfer your xvids or divx videos to view on a tv. Alsos ur music colection, connect it to your deck speakers and you
got a music system (you'll need an amp though)
u may get a second hand PS2 for Rs. 6000.

Ok i might be wrong beacuse i don't own the "PSP" but for PS2 is getting in line for the "history" & u will barely see any new game in another six months(an awaited or a real rocker)
but u will see plenty of them in PSP because the PS3 is in the house.2006 might not be the year of PS3 because of launching & blah blah.....
But 207-2008 will be PS3 era(hopefully) & don't forget the PS3 will hold the biggest & greatest game library as its predessesors has the title with them.

My answer will be going for PSP because the PSP can do lot of things that PS2 can't do.
For running LINUX on PS2,:D Do u really think that it will run LINUX better than ur PC?

So in my openion PSP is better,but u are master of ur own destiny,do whatever u wanna do.
Have fun!

..:: Free Radical ::..

The Transcendental
Linux on PS2 is aimed to only accomplish using limited computing abilities on your tv.eg., managing a media gallery (vids, pics, music), and fun stuff.
I never said it would match the computing abilities of a pc, you were the one talking of running xp/vista on psp. i just said that its bull crap.
Even i don't own a psp, but atleast i gave a few pointers to justify his purchase. the only thing that makes PSP a good alternative is the homebrew community. Sony so much crippled recent firmwares that it becomes a scary proposition to even get a decent app running. Other than portability, it is not really a good option. You may say that ps2 is in the line of history, agreed it is old, but it is the most popular console of all time. Heck, that has even justified sony to still keep producing games for the ps2 till 2008. google for the statement, i'm sure i read it.
True its not a next gen console, but it is the most hacked one and hence most useful.
A hard disk based multimedia manager makes it the best alternative to the dvd/cd players.
Plus, there are hundreds of games for the ps2, and with backward compatibility and emulation, thousands. PS3 gaming has not yet taken off, and there is already talk of PS4. They had planned to cash on blueray for ps3. I don't know, but you saying that he buy a ps3 now and wait for next year to play games on it (when exactly will blue rays and hddvds (xbox 360) be cheap in India, atleast 2-3 years or even more? when dvds are dirt cheap. i'll say, buy a ps3 later when it becomes cheaper and the games come. get a ps2 and spend the rest of you precious money on upgrades for your computer.

Last edited:

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
Absolutely agreed with u in all aspects but i am not saying that buy a PS3 now & use it next year.Infact,i think its better to get a 8800 GTS rather than buying a PS3.BUt PS3 has its own abilities which makes him more than a gaming console.
My suggestion was why spending money on a going thing since u can spend money on something thats still rules.
Taking as an example,If someone has 10,000/- & he needs a card then suggest him a 8600 GT rather than 7600 GT,because the 8600 is the latest thing & also better than 7600GT.No doubt that 7600GT rocked the world in the past but there is something newer & better than the predecessors.
And we have to move on...

OP
Shloeb

Shloeb

In the zone
Thanks a lot for ur suggestions.
U have made me think again. PS2 is getting old. If the price of xbox 360 is around 12k then its a really good deal.Those ppl who are telling me to buy a ps3,
the ps3 is way too expensive. Its almost double of the 360. Whats its price right now?

And one more important thing, what will be the price of the games. I think they will be very expensive. I can't keep on buying original games, AFTER ALL THIS IS NOT AMERICA!!!

Will the price of the xbox 360 or ps3 decrease???
Just give me ur thoughts. :)

bump

can somebody answer my question?

Last edited:

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
The answer is YES but there is no time span.I mean its always that the prices of the electronics decrease but with a variable time

gannu_rox

In the zone
..:: Free Radical ::.. said:
^:rolleyes: u may get a second hand PS2 for Rs. 6000.

WRONG dude... A first hand system frm a SONY outlet fetches only 7k....

My cousin says ps2 in dubai costs less than 5k....

vikingboy

Right off the assembly line
gaming is not all about the latest hardware and dazzling graphics but an enjoyable gaming experience needs well designed games too..
my point is that games for ps2 are thousands in number and many are soo good (like god of war series) that they enjoy a cult status...
the same cannot be said about ps3 and xbox360 though.. there are few games available and most are just adverts for next gen graphics..

if you want to enjoy some fun moments with your friends playing RIGHT NOW.. then go for ps2..
and if you just want to brag about your latest console and save the gaming for 1-2 years later then by all means get a ps3 or xbox360... its your money to burn...

btw.. all newly released consoles typically contain many bugs which are fixed in later versions.. ps2 had the laser probs.. and xbox360 has the infamous RROD..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom