pros & cons of wide screen monitor:-

Status
Not open for further replies.

sagardani

Lost in LOST
Windows desktop and other application windows look stretched on widescreen monitor. Only DVD movies in 16:9 will look perfect. What is the solution for this? Can we have better look of windows application windows on wide screen monitor??

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Desktop doesn't looks stretched in case of using widescreen monitors, it happens only when you set the resolution other than the specified native resolution.
Yes, normal 4:3 movies will have black bars on both sides but there are many media player which could stretch it to full screen (16:10). And don't worry, still the movie looks great.
One thing is for sure, everything looks better with widescreen display. Most games nowdays support widescreen display.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
desiibond said:
Do you know any player that stretches the video to full screen? Will powerdvd do this?

this will result in cropping int 4:3 monitors, jetaudio can do (press + to zoom).

OP
sagardani

sagardani

Lost in LOST
john_the_ultimate said:
Desktop doesn't looks stretched in case of using widescreen monitors, it happens only when you set the resolution other than the specified native resolution.
Yes, normal 4:3 movies will have black bars on both sides but there are many media player which could stretch it to full screen (16:10). And don't worry, still the movie looks great.
One thing is for sure, everything looks better with widescreen display. Most games nowdays support widescreen display.

Ok thanks for clearing my doubt. I went to a shop yesterday there i saw it. But But... even on wiki just search "wide screen" and u'll see image "The Wikipedia main page as viewed with a widescreen monitor" on the right side. Why is that so? Even when we adjust proper resolution, general windows will look like this only on wide screen monitor?

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
I used dual 19" widescreen for around a year or so (sold one recently and other is up for sale in the bazaar section). Getting myself a 24" widescreen display.
Haven't have any problem and I am looking at wiki's main page right now (as you had suggested), it's fine and doesn't look anywhere close to what that picture suggests.
See with widescreen, you will have more space horizontally, so more info can be dispayed (less scrolling).

As for media players that could stretch video, these are few I have used:

1) VLC player *www.videolan.org/vlc/
2) GOM Player *www.gomplayer.com/main.html
3) Zoom Player *www.inmatrix.com/files/zoomplayer_download.shtml

Along with these media player you can also install this codec package CCCP codec *www.cccp-project.net/

These are all free and can play almost any file format you throw at them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom