Programming book

isenberg

Broken In
I gave my 12th exam recently and am currently going through the dilemma of choosing between Bsc(H) and Btech CSE . Whatever may be my final choice, programming is the major reason I am going for Computer Science .
So,I was thinking about spending my holiday in a productive way. So, I wanna learn post basic stuff in C++ like pointers,in depth look at data structure and algorithm etc.I have fairly good understanding of the basic stuff of C++. I also wanna learn java.So, please suggest me some book in C++ and java that also has some solved problems for practice and any other books about OOP that you think is good for beginners .Thanks :)

> Choose B.Tech. In B.Sc, you'll be screwed with proofs and derivation of everything rather than applying them in real life.

> Herbert Schidlt's books for Java and C++ are my personal favourite for beginners. Don't get scared by the book's size, it's a real interesting book.

OP
isenberg

isenberg

Broken In
> Choose B.Tech. In B.Sc, you'll be screwed with proofs and derivation of everything rather than applying them in real life.

> Herbert Schidlt's books for Java and C++ are my personal favourite for beginners. Don't get scared by the book's size, it's a real interesting book.

Thanks. :)

Any other book anyone ?

sankar

Broken In
My favorite is C++ from the Ground Up
C++ from the Ground Up, Third Edition: Herbert Schildt: 9780072228977: Amazon.com: Books
and Head First C
Head First C: David Griffiths, Dawn Griffiths: 9781449399917: Amazon.com: Books
Dont think about OOP too much now. just experiment and get your interest going. Understanding the power of OOP takes some time and experience so now do little things that can be done quickly.

Theodre

In the zone
You can try learning how to program and also learn language, Try LEARN PYTHON THE HARD WAY The books are open and free for online reading and there is a version of ruby, c , SQL :)

You should definitely try this one rather than buying a book!! Even if free, this is one awesome book to go through and hence you will be hooked!! But you should follow the instruction very carefully, no lazy behaviour :D

OP
isenberg

isenberg

Broken In
Thanks NikiNfOuR and Sankar :)

Dont think about OOP too much now. just experiment and get your interest going. Understanding the power of OOP takes some time and experience so now do little things that can be done quickly.

Alright. :D

aaruni

The Linux Guy
You should read this thread : *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/programming/132924-c-c-beginners-guide-post-basic-questions-here.html

nightcrawler

Broken In
If you want in-depth understanding of C++ and especially pointers n references then go to the origin. Look no further than Bjarne Stroustrup. Although it is slightly dry compared to the other books mentioned, once you properly learn C++, you will want to have a copy of this one.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Learning languages like C, C++ takes more than a couple of months to be fair. You should be dedicated to first learn the syntax and then debug your programs. That way you will become a pro. Take any of the above books mentioned & decide whether you want to learn C or C++. If you want to learn both then that will take time.
But do all the programming on Linux platform and use vi or emacs editor.

shabin5785

Broken In
Do some basic apps. Start from design. Do it step by step. At each stage u might have to refer books for internet. But u learn from that. Also by programming more and more and reading more and more u find better and easier ways to do what u have done so far. All this can be done by programming only. And internet is your best friend. Also get an IDE. It helps u a lot..

sunbather

Right off the assembly line
Important as a programming language, it is to become familiar with design patterns and UML!

for example "Head First Design Patterns"

Amazon.com: design patterns: Books

Sudh4r

Fire Lord
Not sure abt C/C++.

But for Java I recommend Head First Java By Kathy Sierra - Basics

+1 To Herbert Schidlt's - 4 Advanced.

Just a personal opinion - You can always start learning Prog from PYTHON - it's easy and FUN :)

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Here are some good books for C++/Java programming

1) Object Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore
2) Object Oriented Programming in C++ by Balagurusamy
3) C++ : The Complete Reference by Herbert Schildst
4) Java : The Complete Reference by Herbert Schildst 9th edition
5) Thinking in Java by Bruce Eckel
6) Thinking in C++ by Bruce Eckel
7) Head First Java
8) Core Java Vol I by C S Horstmann
9) Programming with Java : A Primer by Balagurusamy