processor size vs graphic card size

Status
Not open for further replies.

paroh

Padawan
The processor are so much small in size but the size of the graphic card are are so much bigger in size as compare to the processor.

I think now is the time that graphic card work can be taken up by the processor it self.
For example i7 contains 4-6 cores. now four cores for processing and other two cores for graphic works.

I think this could be possible if companies like intel or amd works with the graphic card manufacture like xfx or ati to build a such a processor.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
The processor are so much small in size but the size of the graphic card are are so much bigger in size as compare to the processor.

I think now is the time that graphic card work can be taken up by the processor it self.
For example i7 contains 4-6 cores. now four cores for processing and other two cores for graphic works.

I think this could be possible if companies like intel or amd works with the graphic card manufacture like xfx or ati to build a such a processor.

It might be possible in the future, but as of now the GPU is better equipped to do graphic rendering. The CPU is the central brain of the computer, and is managing everything. The CPU infact send the 3D data to the GPU. When it does this, it offloads a major task to the GPU.

The GPU is good at this, because the core is designed in a different manner. It is not a 'manager'. It is a HUGE calculation engine, which is extremelly data hungry ---> power hungery. Cause...

Basically a lot of mathematical calculations are done to convert from one format to another. This can be off loaded to the GPU core. The GPU core is efficient at doing this, cause it can calculate to really small decimal places. Light vertex numbers are done using this. So the GPU is really good at number calculations.

They have the architecture of 'stream processors'. This is the SIMD (single instruction multiple data) logic that the GPU uses. So multiple data points are applied a single instruction set in one go, very quickly. And these are all put in a pipeline -- which is the pixel pipeline. So imagine a pipe full of data which needs to have floating point calculations done on it. The data comes out of the pipe to the GPU and the calculation is done. Now there are multiple pipes like this which feed data to the GPU, which does the stream processing. GPUs are rated with the number of pixel pipelines available to the GPU.

This enables the GPU to quickly and efficiently process data. Perfect for 3D rendering or format transformation.

It does all this, renders the 3D polygon image, and renders them on the screen.

So if you have 1400 x 900 resolution monitor and are getting 60FPS, the GPU is actually rendering a screen full of 1260000 pixels x 60 times a second.

To get a good idea of this, down load the Unigine benchmark took from here. Run the demo as per your Dx version and OS, and press F2 to see the Polygon rendering system. You will immediately see the task of the GPU.

Last edited:

Cool G5

Conversation Architect

Asigh explained beautifully about graphic cards. Now let me tell you more about the two processors.

Physically graphic card is bigger because it not only has the core graphic processor but also memory chips, heatsinks, output ports etc integrated on to one PCB.

CPU & GPU are both different units aimed at different type of works. GPU handles the graphic operations better than CPU which is adept at working out logical computations more efficiently. There have been research going on to make some hybrid solution but its still a longway to go before it becomes reality.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Run the Unigine demo I have suggested, and press F2. It is awesome. You will get true enlightenment, how a GPU engine renders.

puneetgarg

Learn & Earn
Run the Unigine demo I have suggested, and press F2. It is awesome. You will get true enlightenment, how a GPU engine renders.
bro there are many things in the site to download what exactly we have to download
please provide the exact link
i too wanna try this out on my pc
btw thanks for the beautiful explanation

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Below the dragon image you will see the following link:

# Windows version [128 Mb] (mirrored by techPowerUp!)
# Windows version [128 Mb] (mirrored by Guru3D)
# Windows version [128 Mb]

Click anyone, and the DL will start. Install it --> run it ----> Press F2 to see the wireframes.

OP
paroh

paroh

Padawan
I think it can take 5-7 year to start working on it. But i think it could be possible in near future. As nano technology is also advancing.
As every body of u know that in old times the main processing unit (CPU) is also large in size but now the processor size is also gets small in size but also more power full.
As this could be also with the case of the graphic card.

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^ So will colonies on Mars/Moon be possible in the near future. Right..!

Be logical man, if it was so easily (read early) possible, would not have AMD done it. They have dedicated divisions for CPU and GPU together...?

Did you not understand the amount of computations these days GPUs have to do. If we give this also to the CPU --- it will be too over tasked.

puneetgarg

Learn & Earn
Below the dragon image you will see the following link:

# Windows version [128 Mb] (mirrored by techPowerUp!)
# Windows version [128 Mb] (mirrored by Guru3D)
# Windows version [128 Mb]

Click anyone, and the DL will start. Install it --> run it ----> Press F2 to see the wireframes.
ok thanks but will try a bit later coz now im stuck with some oc...:lol:

OP
paroh

paroh

Padawan
^^ So will colonies on Mars/Moon be possible in the near future. Right..!

Be logical man, if it was so easily (read early) possible, would not have AMD done it. They have dedicated divisions for CPU and GPU together...?

Did you not understand the amount of computations these days GPUs have to do. If we give this also to the CPU --- it will be too over tasked.

Money plays a big role
I'am not arguing about any think this is just a general discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom