Processor and Motherboard choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Hi,
I am planning to assemble a new system, and I am finalizing the components... Not yet decided on AMD Vs Intel.

On the AMD front, I will decide the proccy last. I have decided that the motherboard will be ASUS M2A-VM irrespective of the processor I choose... It has great features at an awesome price...

On the Intel front, I am trying to choose between E4400 and E6550... In each case, which motherboard would be suitable for use? Not worried about onboard gfx since I will be getting a separate card. Want minimum 3 RAM slots, SATA 2 support, and the other usual features... For the E6550, FSB is 1333 MHz so motherboard choice for it should have 1333 FSB... I would prefer ASUS or Gigabyte brands, but if you have good experience with other brands, please share the info... Preferably it should cost around 5k max...

Finally, please inform what would be the X2 equivalents for the E4400 and the E6550 running without overclocking? I remember reading a link in one of the threads, but was unable to relocate it.

Thanks in advance
Arun

cynosure

UbuntuUser
Although this is about your decision but I would suggest you go for INtel as their Quad cores use the same motherboard as their C2D. Whereas if you want to upgrade to AMD X4 in the near future, you will have to buy a new motherboard which supports (AM2+). But this all depends if you wish to upgrade to Quad cores in the near future or you wish to use this rig for a long time.

OP
S

sakumar79

Technomancer
Thanx for the replies... Planning to go for Intel IF I can get a decent low-cost motherboard.

Also, what PSU should I choose? I plan to buy a 8600GT card, 2x1GB RAM, 250 or 300 GB HDD, DVD Writer along with this. Already have 17" monitor, Sound card and 4.1 Creative Inspire speaker set... Will go for Zebronics or such brand (not costly ones like Antec, nor for unbranded ones)... Will 400 W unit be ok?

Arun

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Get coolermaster 600W for 3.5k that will be sufficient and somewhat future proof, if you later add more HDD and overclock your cpu etc. As for mobo definetly get XFX 650i ultra.

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
For 2k you could get Zebronics , Colorsit, Powersafe psu. These are the few good ones.
I would recommend investing into a good PSU as it helps in long run and its kind a one time investment. But get whatever suits your budget. BTW, what's your config?

cynosure

UbuntuUser
If you guys have limited budget then the links below can help you. These are basically about adding 2 PSUs to get good wattage and amperage.
So IF YOU ARE TECHNICAL ENOUGH and if you can get a gud 500W PSU for 2.5K and your budget is around 5K max then get 2 PSUs and get the power of 1000W for as little as 5K.

*www.modplod.com/tech/2ndpsu.php
*www.speedy3d.com/articles/case_mod_p3/index.shtml

PS: A good 700W PSU comes for around 7-8K. So I think getting 1KW for 5K is hell cheap.

OP
S

sakumar79

Technomancer
I ran a check on a Power Usage Calculator (from a link on another post)... I find that the max power requirement for my config is around 300 to 350W... Will a basic Zebronics 400 or 500W PSU do?

My proposed Config is as follows:
CPU + Mobo - AMD X2 5200+ with ASUS M2AVM or Intel C2D E6550 with XFX650i
RAM - 2x1GB DDR2 667 MHz Kingston
HDD - 300 GB SATA2 Seagate
Optical Drive - Sony DVD Writer
Monitor - 17" Samsung SyncMaster793s (2 yrs old)
Gfx Card - Zebronics 8600GT
Kbd+Mouse - Iball Laser Combo
Case - Zeb Antibiotic or Iball Workhorse with 500W PSU

Speakers and UPS are already available.

Arun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom