Problems with 5yr old laptop, DVD drive not working, freezes during bootup etc.

Bencollins

Broken In
my friend uses a 5 yr old hp presario v6500 laptop with amd turion x2 1.9GHz cpu, 2.5GB RAM and 160GB HDD.

he's suffering from a problem since last few months. everytime he turns on his laptop, he needs to press 'esc' during POST screen. if he doesn't, laptop freezes and doesn't goes into 'starting windows' screen.

he tried formatting and reinstalling windows yesterday using a bootable pendrive, windows was installed on c: drive. After installation was completed, somehow E: drive got corrupted even when it wasn't even selected during installation and DVD drive simply vanished from explorer. even physical eject button is not working in the dvd drive.
DVD eject button works when laptop is turned on and showing POST screen but stops working after 'escape' key is pressed [as mentioned above, esc is required to boot into windows and avoid freezing]

its not showing in POST screen as well, only shows internal WDC hdd. not showing in device manager either.

what could be the reason? any solution?

Its 5 Yrs old there are times when the heat sink isn't working, you get a post screen similar to this but I have heard of the laptop restart so are you facing anything similar as well does it restart after it's freezed.

OP
B

Bencollins

Broken In
Are you able to run live Linux?

DVD drive isn't working so didn't tried yet, should i create a bootable pendrive for live linux? [i have an ubuntu live disc]

here's crystal disk info screenshot:

*i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv292/hgps/Untitled_zpsc172c62e.jpg

Its 5 Yrs old there are times when the heat sink isn't working, you get a post screen similar to this but I have heard of the laptop restart so are you facing anything similar as well does it restart after it's freezed.

laptop does't restarts by itself, but occasionally it does get BSODs.

Why are you installing it? Rin it like live OS.

Try Ubuntu before you install it | Ubuntu

*www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/try-ubuntu-before-you-install

OP
B

Bencollins

Broken In

Try Ubuntu before you install it | Ubuntu

*www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/try-ubuntu-before-you-install

Checked that link. It freezes after selecting language. So 'try ubuntu" option isnt displayed

Last edited:
In that case, its a hardware issue. You should get it checked at a service center. BTW if you are able to enter BIOS, then check the reported temperatures.

OP
B

Bencollins

Broken In
In that case, its a hardware issue. You should get it checked at a service center. BTW if you are able to enter BIOS, then check the reported temperatures.

Bios lacks temprature display/system status display.

But last year i had checked temps of his lappy using speed fan. GPU idle temp was 94'C and 105'C at load :eek:
Cpu and system temps were 80+ as well. I had warned him about high temps but he ignored it. Is this the reason of hardware failure?

Bios lacks temprature display/system status display.

But last year i had checked temps of his lappy using speed fan. GPU idle temp was 94'C and 105'C at load :eek:
Cpu and system temps were 80+ as well. I had warned him about high temps but he ignored it. Is this the reason of hardware failure?

These are way too high. Try this: instead of Ubuntu, try puppy Linux through live USB. If overheating is the culprit, you'll be able to progress further in puppy Linux as its very lite.

OP
B

Bencollins

Broken In
But windows does work fine even when its overheating. Only problem is he have to press escape during BIOS to avoid freezing and dvd drive not getting detected

Top Bottom