Problem with Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ! I have a slight problem with my Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2. You see, when I used the tools tab in my computer (where File, Edit etc. are all there), it usually gives me "Folder Options". However, after I loaded a couple of drivers yesterday, when I do click on the "Tools" option, I get only three options like Synchronize etc. and I don't get "Folder Options". It isn't there in any of the other menus either. Could someone please point me out to what the problem might be and how I can rectify it ?

I tried to restore my system to an earlier point, but after restarting, it just says "Restoration Incomplete".

Could someone please help me ?

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Start -> regedit

Goto: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

And in right-side pane look for a DWORD value NoFolderOptions and set its value to 0 or Delete it.

OP
E

esh1manarsenal

Broken In
Ok. I'll try that. Thanks a lot anyways ! :) And by the way, is there a way to know why this problem had occured ?

Last edited:

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Try to scan ur comp for virus & spywares!
It usually occurs when ur system is infected by them.
If ur comp is shared betwenn many ppl, then some1 might play a prank with U. :D

OP
E

esh1manarsenal

Broken In
Ok. Now I have a problem. I tried to access regedit, but the system gives me a message stating that my administrator does not allow registry editting. But here's the twist - I am the administrator, and I haven't disabled registry editting. What's more ? After it gives me this message, my computer restarts automatically. I don't even have a net connection at my place, and I am not connected to any other computers. Could someone please help me solve this problem ?

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Now I'm 100% sure that ur system has been infected with a virus/spyware.
I hv seen many computers behaving same as of urs, and all were infected with a virus (I forgot the name).

So I suggest U to scan ur system with a good antivirus and anti-spyware.

if u r regedit works fine only in safe mode and not in normal mode, then it is sure of due to virus problem. if u have any antivirus installed and updated till date, try to run antivirus in the safemode. u might end up getting the name of virus infected u r system. then if ur antivirus removes the virus fine, else look for virus removal tool in avg, symanted or mcafee web sites they provided specific removal tool for a particular virus. if u dont have any antivirus then download stinger from mcafee, that might sort out u r problem

uttoransen

Broken In
open command prompt

open command prompt, there type in sfc /scannow
and your problem will be solved, and for the regedit
just at the time of loging in, when asked to chose a user to log in to xp,
if you only have one user, then just log off, and at the time of loging in
just press two time, alt+cont+del then you will get the actual admin, i know the digit team don't know this secret, as they have not answered a question properly in the Q and A, which was related to this, but you can try this, you will get the actual admin, and you will be able to do what you want, press it twice back to back, tell me if the problem is solved,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom