Problem with Windows 98 Registry Checker at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

vijay_v

Broken In
I have installed Microsoft Windows 98 OS which was working fine until recently... now i have a problem with it.... whenever i start my computer... the Microsoft Registry checker starts automatically just after the windows GUI is loaded... it fixes the USER.DAT file first then checks for SYSTEM.DAT file.. when trying to fix this file the computer freezes and doesnt respond.... not even to CTRL+ALT+DEL....

i have tried to restore the registry to a previous date but there were no backups...
what should be done to overcome this problem... plz help....

swatkat

Technomancer
Hi,
Boot in safe mode by pressing the F8 key while Windows loads up. Next go to Start > Run and type msconfig and press ENTER.
Here, uncheck the entry which looks like scanregw.exe and click "Apply" and exit from Msconfig.
Reboot to normal mode, and run Scandisk ( Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Scan Disk ), with the option "Automatically Fix errors" enabled for all the drives.

Then renable the scanregw in MSconfig, and restart the PC. Check whether you receive the error messages.

swatkat

Technomancer
Have you tried unchecking the scanregw in MSConfig-and running scandisk-and enabling it again?

rajat22

In the zone
If you are facing same problem
It can be a registry error also in 98.
Boot with command dos prompt, select this option by hitting F8.
Here
type
c:\>cd\windows press enter
c:\>WINDOWS>scanreg /fix press enter (hit the space bar once after typing scanreg & before typing fix)

Now windows will reconstruct your registry and let us hope to solve your problem.

OP
V

vijay_v

Broken In
when i run scanreg from DOS and try to fix the registry the same thing happens..... comp freezes when scanreg is trying to fix SYSTEM.DAT file...

swatkat

Technomancer
Hi,
Try this, go to My Computer. Here go to the driver where Windows 98 is installed, that would be C:\ in most of the cases.
Next go to Windows folder. Next go View Menu > Folder Options. Here click "View" tab, and click "Show all files". Next click "Apply" and "OK". Find a folder named Sysbackup, and open it.
There would be files with the extension .CAB with names like rb001, rb002 etc.
Please make a note of all those CAB files and also their creation dates and post back these details here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom