problem with system date in FC4

Status
Not open for further replies.

legolas

Padawan
hi guys,

I use FC4 and while installing, i forgot to set the date.... by mistake, it has been set to 2007!!! and i hav been working on it for arnd a week... after that i noticed the date problem and reverted back to the original date. now that, this is done, when i try to install some software with the commands say,

./configure
make
make install

i get this error....

legolas said:
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/arun/libsbml-2.3.4/src/bindings'
make[3]: Warning: File `/dev/null' has modification time 3.2e+07 s in the future
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `include'.
make[3]: warning: Clock skew detected. Your build may be incomplete.

pls help me with this... its really important... should i change the dates of the already installed directories(which have dates 2007) ??? if so how to? any alternatives?

/legolas

ujjwal

Padawan
First, you should try restarting once and trying to compile the program again, as restarting will recreate all files in /dev ...

Else, you can change dates of files in your system using the "touch" command. Running 'touch *' in a directory will set all files in the current directory to have the current system date as their modificaction date.

As you need to change the dates of all files in the system, you will need a simple loop to do it, something like running

Code:
for i in `find` ; do touch $i ; done

In the / directory.

But be careful, running this changes all dates and may have a bad affect on some applications/processes. Also you should unmount all drives before running this.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Ujjwal, why go into a for loop when find itself can execute commands upon its output?

Code:
 $ find . -exec touch {} \;

OP
L

legolas

Padawan
i restarted and recompiled... but stil it says... WARNING: <filename> is upated 1.1e 03 seconds in future... or something... and at the end it says

warning: clock skew detected: your build may be incomplete

can i use that command u gave to reset the dates? wil that be of any real harm? y should i unmount the drives?

/legolas

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Note: True programmers never worry about WARNINGS ... Then only worry if its an ERROR

GCC/Makefile uses source file's timestamp to determine which files need to be recompiled, and which have been edited. I guess Ujjwal's trick might just work!

OP
L

legolas

Padawan
I worry coz i dont get it compiled!!! and after trying many times. that makes me think there is some prob with this only. thks anyway.

/legolas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom