rajarshi

Right off the assembly line
Hi , this is my computer specs .

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 3
CPU Type Asus 64 X2 5200 +, 2700 MHz
System Memory 2016 MB
BIOS Type Award (06/21/07)

I have had a SATA 240 GB working where the Windows system is . Yesterday I hooked up a PATA 160 GB and had it partitioned and was able to store some data there . Today , morning when I try starting my computer it just goes to the point where Windows says " starting up " and then just stays there . I am able to work when I plug off the PATA drive . The second drive is working perfectly in my friends computer . I tried the safe mode and even then it is not going past . What could be the problem ?

Want to add that in the 160 GB hard disk there is nothing except a single movie . I tried defragging the C: drive and that did not help still .

Last edited:
OP
R

rajarshi

Right off the assembly line
What is your motherboard?

Post the complete model no.

My MB is ASUS M2NPV-VM

Could this be because of my RAM ( 2 GB and DDR2 ) and the now huge storage which stands at 240+160 GB = 400 GB ?

This is getting very frustrating .. Would loading Linux be helpful ? I really need to access all the storage available .

insaneYLN

In the zone
I would suggest you take the 160GB PATA/IDE hard disk to that friend's place where it seems to work fine, back up your data, delete the partitions, format the drive & re-create the desired number of partitions.

After you have done the above, disconnect your 250GB SATA hard drive & install the operating system on the 160GB PATA hard drive.
Install the drivers for your motherboard & any expansion peripherals.

Observe if you are able to install the operating system & subsequently your motherboard drivers.

Alternatively, you could check the troubling 160GB PATA hard drive on your friend's system using a few diagnostic softwares, which the more experienced members here will certainly recommend.
Try the Western Digital LifeGuard Diagnostic software available for a download on the WD website.

I hope your issue gets resolved promptly.

Top Bottom