problem with chkdsk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzz

Broken In
I run chkdsk on C without /f it says there are problems with filesystem. When I run chkdsk with /f it asks to run on restart, but it does not run on restart. Sometimes when it does run it gives a message "Volume cannot be opened for direct access" I'm getting really frustrated :mad: ..............

Amir.php

Flying Visitor
Cannot open volume for direct access.
The type of the file system is NTFS.
IFSUTIL: Can't open drive. Status returned = c0000043.
Windows has finished checking the disk.

this types of error occurs, when you are using winxp sp1 or without service pack.
Download and install latest service pack sp2 and sp3.
Your problem will solve.

Last edited:
OP
B

Buzz

Broken In
"IFSUTIL: Can't open drive. Status returned = c0000043"
This line does not appear in the message. I'll post the exact message soon.
I already have winxp sp3.

Amir.php

Flying Visitor
Then also try what this link says:
*windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/14614/i-am-unable-to-run-chkdsk-it-cannot-lock-or-open-volume-for-direct-access.html

OP
B

Buzz

Broken In
Try using tune up diskdoctor
Using tuneup dis doctor I get the same message on restart.
Thanks Amir, will try it and get back soon.

I tried disabling services but I still get the message that C cannot be locked for direct access.

Last edited:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
1. At boot press F8
2. Select boot with safe mode and command prompt
3. After you get your command prompt type

chkdsk X: /F /V

where X is your drive letter, D, E, F, etc. This will repair the filesystem. Do one drive at a time, and last run for C: When you ask for chkdsk to repair C: it will tell you that it will be run on the next reboot. Reboot your system into windows normally and allow the chkdsk to finish for C: At the end of it you will be prompted for a reboot again :p windows

OP
B

Buzz

Broken In
Looks like I've got more problems than I thought!:-(
When I select Safe Mode with Command Prompt it shows safe mode loading and then gets stuck.

OP
B

Buzz

Broken In
I am NOT running an illegal copy. The CD got damaged about a year back and I disposed it off. Anyway I don't think someone with an illegal copy would bother asking in this forum.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
I am NOT running an illegal copy. The CD got damaged about a year back and I disposed it off. Anyway I don't think someone with an illegal copy would bother asking in this forum.

Sorry.

Try to get a CD from someone. Anyway, it's only to recover the system.

Beta Waves

Journeyman
Installing a third party disk maintenance software wont solve this problem because once you restart (Boot time checking) the software will use the same inbuilt chkdsk tool of windows...

Even I had this problem, along with this i had many other problems too, so I reinstalled the OS after repartitioning, now its gone..

OP
B

Buzz

Broken In
It's okay. Good to see someone thinking about the software developers for a change.:)
I'll try to get a CD from someone but that will take a while as I'll be answering my exams soon.

Beta Waves,
I can't afford to reinstall since I don't have any Backups other than the System Restore.

I wonder what caused chkdsk and safemode to stop working. I've never had any major problems before.

What about the "Volume cannot be opened for direct access" message, will the Windows CD be able to solve that too?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom