Problem installing ubuntu 8.10

Status
Not open for further replies.

gk2k

gkbhat.blogspot.com
I wanted to install ubuntu 8.10 for my friend, after installation the login screen appears after logging in the system restarts just before the title bar appears. On booting in failsafe gnome the bars loaded after that whenever I click on any icons like firefox the system restarts.
System configuration :Intel core2duo ,2gb ram, intel 945 motherboard
The problem exists even for kubuntu 8.10.Both livecd's work fine

Flake

Linux User
First of all, check Memory. Memtest is available in LiveCD and check if it lists any error.
a_rahim said:
You should remove compiz i guess.
compiz is not enabled by default and it doesn't restart OS under any circumstances.

vineet957

Right off the assembly line
I wanted to installed ubuntu as well, I have format the harddrive because Windows is allready installed

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
I wanted to installed ubuntu as well, I have format the harddrive because Windows is allready installed

No need to remove windows. You can make a dual boot system by installing Ubuntu on a separate free partition.

talktorishav

techspalace
Try OpenSUSE. Ubuntu takes a lot of time to install and really mind-numbing.:-|

I cant understand how this is an appropriate answer to the question asked by gk2k. If he again faces problem in Opensuse then will you or someone else here suggest him to go to Fedora and again Gentoo and ....

While coming to the question asked, this is a very strange problem I've ever heard. Does the system restarts normally I mean by logging out and shutting down all service or just restarts?

OP
G

gk2k

gkbhat.blogspot.com
^^No the system restarts abruptly. The next time i boot into ubuntu disk check ran and gave some checking error.It manually asked to run fsck I ran it but of no use.
@ghost at rest
No errors for memtest from live cd.

talktorishav

techspalace
/var/log/syslog /var/log/kern.log /var/log/user.log /var/log/Xorg.0.log /var/log/user.log all contains important information.

As I said, this is very strange problem for me. There were times when acpi used to bring similar kinds of problems.

Can you open virtual consoles?

OP
G

gk2k

gkbhat.blogspot.com
Everything except the gui works absolutely fine. As told earlier the gui in the live cd mode works fine.
Regarding acpi I don't think its a problem because the system boots without any problem.If it was a problem then it would have given a message if i remember properly "kernel panic" or something like that.
Regarding the log files my friend installed fedora on that partition so I'm sorry I can't read the log file.

talktorishav

techspalace
Are you still trying to fix it?

If I were you I would go to tty1 and then dpkg-reconfigure ubuntu-desktop
or
remove ubuntu-desktop and try with kubuntu-desktop of xfce4.

OP
G

gk2k

gkbhat.blogspot.com
Are you still trying to fix it?
No, but I want to know the reason.
I reinstalled ubuntu 2-3 times but the problem did not go.

Regarding
remove ubuntu-desktop and try with kubuntu-desktop
As I mentioned in the first post I tried kubuntu and the problem is not solved.

Did the original installation go smoothly ??

1) Maybe there are some kernel files missing ??

2) And Did you try to get into the virtual console mode ?

talktorishav

techspalace

Regarding

Sorry, I can't help, the reason seems very strange to me.

Regarding

Its a possibility that your installation CD had some missing kernel files .... So each time the (Desktop ) GUI was nt completely installed .....

vaithy

In the zone
Pl. don't remove windows at any circumstances have atleast three partion , Verify whether the same problem ocurred in Windows also.. Or you can install some other Linux distro in another partition and observe whether the same problem occurred.. if so, the problems is ,Bad memory modules/ dying hard disk,/ problems in VGA adaptor/Graphics card...

before installing, try memtest via live cd.. if badmodules listed in RED clours.. count how much.. if it is few then it is always OK to reboot for installation by the time you completed your MEMTEST your memory modules may give less trouble ...
In my case when my SMPS fried by my nvidea card same thing occurred.. changing SMPS solved my problem.I don't think Linux any thing todo with restarting.. Ofcourse , lwhen virus affected Windows box system restarted is normal..
If the installation CD has missing kernel due to bad burn.. then installation may stopped in halfway. or restarted the system. In this present case installation is successful so I don;t thing it is missing files.
with regards,
vaithy

OP
G

gk2k

gkbhat.blogspot.com
@Phantom Lancer
I had got the installation cd from ubuntu shipit. I used it to install in 6 to 7 other systems there was no problem running ubuntu.
I tried installing ubuntu in another system which has the same configuration it worked fine.
I think it may be some hardware problem because now even his windows installation in normal mode starts restarting but in safe mode it works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom