Problem in XP....Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

a_ohdedar

Right off the assembly line
I have a problem in XP.It stared a month ago,probably after i tried to save a text file(written in HTML) as .html file.A message is shown: " You have a problem in internet explorer.If this happens again restart your computer." and all opened windows r closed except any running process
(a game or a software).Though it says about ineternet explorer,it actually
happens while using windows explorer and never while surfing.I tried to fix this by trying to repair from XP cd("pressing R to repair existing installation") but it did not work.I do not want to format my hard drive.
Please help.

thetopcyborg

Journeyman
don't go for the recovery process.....

but setup windows xp(from the boot cd, i think we have to press enter)

and then before format, a slider kind of a thing will be there, and above it it will be written 'to repair an exisitng installation of windows xp, press r(or something)'.....do that....it will kind of 'overwrite you previous installation of XP hassle-free. the installation time and all will be the same....but you will have to install new drivers again...i recently did that and its working absolutely fine.......

please be careful while in the XP setup as i don't remember clearly the exact location of the dialog 'to repair an exisitng installation of windows xp, press r(or something'.....but i clearly remember that it was before any partitioning.....

all the settings will remain the same(except drivers)....

also, be alert, the message can be somewhere else also but don't go in for automated recovery preocess and neither the 'dos kind of thing'......

i had discovered this when i had made up my mind that i will format the partition but discovered the same.....i hope the same is your case....

hope it works, cheers!!!

OP
A

a_ohdedar

Right off the assembly line
Cyborg, thnx for ur response.But i did not go for automated recovery process and did just what you said and still problem was not solved. I mean to say i did that before ur suggestion but without any fruitful result (though i got good results with this a few other times). Please reply if you have anything else to suggest.

varungupta17

Broken In
U have to boot from windows cd...
Then press esc or enter when it asks u whether u want to install a new copy of windows....
Then agree licence agreement and then comes the windows installation screeen which asks on which partion u want to install windows..
Press R to repair windows... It must work and if it doesnt work then scan ur comp for viruses with latest definition...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom