problem in starting linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

mukesh

Right off the assembly line
i have pentium4 with 256mb ram,last time i installed red hat linux 8.0,when i restarted the computer i got a message sync out of range.what to do.

tuxfan

Technomancer
What do you mean by Linux 8.0? There is nothing like that. Or have you installed Red Hat 8.0? :shock: Thats pretty old. If it is some other GNU/Linux ditribution, then please specifiy which one it is.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
I too would suggest that you use a newer version as its a new installation. You will not have this problem then. Now about your problem the x configration file holds a value of sync that is not supported by your monitor. Option to rectify this is that you reconfigure your x server to do this use the command (as root) xorgconfig and select lower settings for your display.

tuxfan

Technomancer
"Sync out of range" message comes when the monitor isn't receiving any signal from the CPU. I get that message everyday, but it disappears as soon as I switch on the CPU.

busyanuj

In the zone
mukesh said:
i have pentium4 with 256mb ram,last time i installed red hat linux 8.0,when i restarted the computer i got a message sync out of range.what to do.

Mukesh, some info about your motherboard, monitor etc could help.
on installation of RHL 8, in case you get the "sync out of range" message again, then simply type setup and redetect and reconfigure your monitor, display resolution, refresh rate etc.

AFAIK, RedHat Linux 8 doesn't have 865 mobo drivers (in case you're using intel 865 chipset), so you might also have trouble running x-server in Linux. Besides it is quite an old release. Better try installing Fedora Core 3 instead of RHL 8.
or if you're a new user of Linux then I'll advise you to install the Knoppix distro.

tuxfan

Technomancer
If you want to install, why install Knoppix? It is a great live distro, but if GNU/Linux is to be installed on a hard disk, there are better alternatives like Mandrake, SuSE, Fedora Core (Red Hat), PCQ Linux, etc.

I would suggest you install latest version any one of these.

hafees

In the zone
"Sync out of range" message comes when the monitor isn't receiving any signal from the CPU. I get that message everyday, but it disappears as soon as I switch on the CPU.
no! sync out of range occurs if u set a refresh rate that ur monitor cant withstand at the current resolution. if u connect another monitor which has support for this resolution & refresh, then u ll not get this error.

so u must reconfigure ur display.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom