Problem ejecting External HDD

Darshan Singh

Broken In
Hi guys,

I have a problem properly ejecting my external WD HDD. Windows 7 has this very problem of ejecting external devices properly. Therefore I use Unlocker before ejecting any external device. But after unlocking all the processes with the Unlocker, when I eject my external HDD, even though the system says that the device can be removed safely, the HDD doesn't stop spinning which can be checked by touching it. The activity indicator on the disk is in idle state though. Therefore I have to remove the disk anyways but I'm always worried about my HDD getting damaged.

Unlocker is a very helpful tool but sometimes it is also rendered useless. This is a flaw in Windows 7 only. Windows XP would tell you if it could not eject the device properly but would never give you false messages. Hasn't Microsoft noticed this by now and haven't released any patch for this?

Please help.

OP
Darshan Singh

Darshan Singh

Broken In
No, most of the times, when I eject my other Hard Drives, they stop spinning after a few seconds and the indicator starts blinking in short lapses.

The message I get is the same you usually get while ejecting external devices i.e. The removable drive can now be safely removed from your computer.

tanmaymohan

Geek v1.0
Check whether there are any antiviruses scanning ur HDD.

Ensure that your computer is virus free

If the system says that the device can be safely removed from the computer you can eject it without any worries.

Top Bottom