prob with processer or motherboard???

Status
Not open for further replies.

hansraj

In the zone
hardware experts please help me out.... i have a KOB P4M266 NDFSMx mercury motherboard and the rest of the config is
P4 1.7 GHz(784 pin)
512 Mb DDR + 256 Mb DDR both 333 MHz
40 Gb 5200 Rpm seagate hard disk
now my bottleneck (rather chicken neck) is 100 Mhz FSB limitation because iam not able to find any difference even after adding the 512 mb ram card over the existing 256 mb ram. so i have decided to upgrade the motherboard so that i get somewhere 800 Mhz FSB speed.... but i have some doubts. iam planning for a 945 based chipset which has PCI EXP slot + support for sata and ide hard disk. But my worries are

1. Does the 945 chipset based motherboard supports 784 pin p4 1.7 ?
2. Can i use my 333 Mhz ram cards in that motherboard without any problem?
3. Is the FSB limitation of 100 Mhz FSB due to the motherboard or the processer itself ?

or other than the above is there any other alternative which can give me better performance with the existing config............... actuall iam dying to play EMPIRE EARTH II which is running so slow that i get nothing other than frustration.... i dont want to spend money on graphics card for this motherboard... if at all i have to i want to go for PCI EXP with the new motherboard only......... please help me.......

harish_21_10

In the zone
Try this link: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=270196#270196
It will help ,its the same topic you started in QnA.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Y the double post brother ??? *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31291
Reporting it to mods....

Cheers n e-peace...

Zaysen

Broken In
hansraj said:
hardware experts please help me out.... i have a KOB P4M266 NDFSMx mercury motherboard and the rest of the config is
P4 1.7 GHz(784 pin)
512 Mb DDR + 256 Mb DDR both 333 MHz
40 Gb 5200 Rpm seagate hard disk
now my bottleneck (rather chicken neck) is 100 Mhz FSB limitation because iam not able to find any difference even after adding the 512 mb ram card over the existing 256 mb ram. so i have decided to upgrade the motherboard so that i get somewhere 800 Mhz FSB speed.... but i have some doubts. iam planning for a 945 based chipset which has PCI EXP slot + support for sata and ide hard disk. But my worries are

1. Does the 945 chipset based motherboard supports 784 pin p4 1.7 ?
2. Can i use my 333 Mhz ram cards in that motherboard without any problem?
3. Is the FSB limitation of 100 Mhz FSB due to the motherboard or the processer itself ?

or other than the above is there any other alternative which can give me better performance with the existing config............... actuall iam dying to play EMPIRE EARTH II which is running so slow that i get nothing other than frustration.... i dont want to spend money on graphics card for this motherboard... if at all i have to i want to go for PCI EXP with the new motherboard only......... please help me.......

First of all your P4 1.70 Ghz is a 478 Pin CPU and Not a 784 Pin as you have written!

Before Upgrading please ask yourself as to what applications you want to run on the new upgraded platform.Adding More Ram will not run basic applications like word,excel or internet any faster than the existing one.

The 945 Chipset only supports Land Grid Array LGA-775 Contacts Processors and hence your FC PGA-478 Pin Processor will not run on the 945 Motherboard.Also the 945 Motherboard Only Supports DDR 2 Memory and hence your existing DDR 333 Mhz Memory will also be useless if you upgrade to the 945 Motherboard.

Hence it looks that if you wish to upgrade you will need to spend a lot of money on Processor Motherboard Memory Hard Disk New Cabinet and Power Supply etc.Also keep in mind the heating issue's of the new processor the prescot and dual core one's.

I have the same cpu of 1.70 ghz 478 Pin and i am very happy with waht i have as there is no heating problems with this cpu.i am using this for basic applications and for seeing tv on my pc for 20 hours a day.

With best wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom