Pre-owned car discussion

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I have been thinking of getting a second hand car for myself. This will be the first car that I own and I am a pretty green driver. So, I have some queries regarding this.

• What to look for in a car when going to shop?
  • What make and models have good value in the current market for a budget of < 5L
  • Are dedicated brick-and-mortar resellers trustworthy? I hear some of them may try to sell flood damaged cars that won't be covered by insurance.
  • Are online resellers like spinny or cardekho trustworthy?
  • Are CNG/Petrol hybrid cars good? I see that if I get a pure CNG car it will be difficult to drive out of the city since there will be a lack of CNG pumps.
  • How much financing is feasible if I plan to keep the car for a short term? Technically I can afford to pay cash as well, but I am anxious since I have never blown that much amount at once before.

I don't really plan on keeping the car for too long, perhaps 1-2 years and then I'll probably sell it and get a brand new one.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Welp. I thought there would be some car enthusiasts here who might help. Not very keen on registering for a new forum just for one query.

I'll look into making an account there later if I get no leads.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
My old intern in pune got a Volkswagen polo with under 10k kms driven for ~2 lakhs. That was from olx. Try looking for deals such as this, you will find much better deals from individual sellers than brick and mortar shops. You should look for number of kms driven, typically under 20k is a great deal.

DONOT buy automatic, if you go to any second hand car seller, you will see huge number of automatic cars available for cheap, and many on repair with transmission broken. Indian roads aren't good for automatic cars, because we need to slow down a lot due to traffic.

If this is your first car, it's even more important to avoid automatic. And get a cheap car (hatchback). Get some practice for a few years then buy suv or sedan.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
My old intern in pune got a Volkswagen polo with under 10k kms driven for ~2 lakhs. That was from olx. Try looking for deals such as this, you will find much better deals from individual sellers than brick and mortar shops. You should look for number of kms driven, typically under 20k is a great deal.

DONOT buy automatic, if you go to any second hand car seller, you will see huge number of automatic cars available for cheap, and many on repair with transmission broken. Indian roads aren't good for automatic cars, because we need to slow down a lot due to traffic.

If this is your first car, it's even more important to avoid automatic. And get a cheap car (hatchback). Get some practice for a few years then buy suv or sedan.
Could you please explain more on the highlighted part?? I thought geared vehicles aren't good because they put too much strain on the leg used for clutch release. This kind of thing happens in severe traffic only, e.g. Bangalore, where traffic moves really really slow during peak times.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Could you please explain more on the highlighted part?? I thought geared vehicles aren't good because they put too much strain on the leg used for clutch release. This kind of thing happens in severe traffic only, e.g. Bangalore, where traffic moves really really slow during peak times.
According to my talk with the garage owner, he said 90 % of automatic cars that are in repair in his possession is because of broken transmission. It happens because we tend to keep brakes on, while slightly accelerating while waiting for traffic to signal green (and other similar scenarios).
Automatic is best for cruising on empty roads, but constantly stopping, and accelerating puts more pressure on automated transmission than manual.
You will see a lot of showrooms trying to sell you automatic versions more than manual because they know automatic do not sell well.

My own bro made that mistake, he bought automatic and im pretty sure the showroom guy lied about manual availability. Do not fall into this pressure.

Btw im not a car guy, but im just relaying what ive been told.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Its a Smart thing to buy and try second hand Car first.
You can also check Cars24. They are highly reputed as they come and inspect the Car (in case of Seller) and will only Sell tested Cars in their website. One of my office friend sold his Car in their website and the service was excellent.

Go for manual transmission as we should learn manual first and then can switch to Automatic.

Take precaution in OLX and only check for OLX certified ones as most of the other Sellers are Scams.

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
Welp. I thought there would be some car enthusiasts here who might help. Not very keen on registering for a new forum just for one query.

I'll look into making an account there later if I get no leads.
Why don't you try true value or other manufacturers selling used cars? I think there you can get warranty while buying. Also, you can't just register in teambhp like any normal forums.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
My old intern in pune got a Volkswagen polo with under 10k kms driven for ~2 lakhs
How old was it? A Volkswagen for ~2L seems pretty sus.
And get a cheap car (hatchback)
Yeah, that's the plan. I have been thinking of getting a i10 or WagonR.
Why don't you try true value or other manufacturers selling used cars? I think there you can get warranty while buying.
Is it an official reseller of some brand or just a normal reseller?
Also, you can't just register in teambhp like any normal forums.
As in?

quicky008

Technomancer
true value is an official branch of maruti udyog limited that deals only in preowned cars-you can give it a try.Suzuki's vehicles are pretty robust and well built and last a fairly long time without requiring much servicing-you could get the newer revisions of wagon R,if you can find one at a decent price.

(ps-is anyone here who likes older cars like the ambassador?is there a market for such cars today?)

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
How old was it? A Volkswagen for ~2L seems pretty sus.

Yeah, that's the plan. I have been thinking of getting a i10 or WagonR.

Is it an official reseller of some brand or just a normal reseller?

As in?
Most car manufacturers like maruti, Hyundai, Ford etc have their own shops now selling preowned cars.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Is it worth getting a discontinued model (circa 2012-2013 model) if I'm getting it cheap? Are there any maintenance implications? I think it will be hard to get spare parts but the cheap cost is hard to resist.

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
imo never go for used cars as you might dont know what can turn out to be bad in it The seller might not tell you that at the time of purchase and you may regret later.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
Is it worth getting a discontinued model (circa 2012-2013 model) if I'm getting it cheap? Are there any maintenance implications? I think it will be hard to get spare parts but the cheap cost is hard to resist.
Parts availability depends on the manufacturer. A relative had a Maruti Suzuki 800 model from the 80s and he used to get parts until few years ago. True Value has a good reputation when it comes to used cars market. I would suggest stick to manufacturer owned used car shops.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
might be difficult to resell it later

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
4.22 lakhs.

Good thing is that Spinny they also give dealer warranty for 1 year and servicing. Also, they say that they have an assured buyback price if sold back to them in a given time frame.

Last edited:
OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Manual. I think it's better to go manual for learning. I am a noob driver anyway.

Once I get used to this I can consider automatic for my next car.

Top Bottom