Post HTML5, Javascript & CSS3 queries here

Piyush

Lanaya
Re: Post HTML5, Javascript & CSS3 queries here

Alright, inputs taken. And if I'm stuck on some java problem, I'll post the issue over there from now on.

Another doubt:
Can there be only 1 web.xml file in WEB-INF folder?
I was going to make a separate jsp form for downloading the previously uploaded files. So how should I proceed in xml file issue?

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Re: Post HTML5, Javascript & CSS3 queries here

Alright, inputs taken. And if I'm stuck on some java problem, I'll post the issue over there from now on.

Another doubt:
Can there be only 1 web.xml file in WEB-INF folder?
I was going to make a separate jsp form for downloading the previously uploaded files. So how should I proceed in xml file issue?

There exists only one web.xml (will refer it as DD - Deployment Descriptor) per web application.
You configure the DD according to the requirements of your webapp.

Instead of <context-param> , use <init-param> per servlet. Context parameters exist per web app and are shared by all servlets and jsp's. Init parameters exist per individual servlet.
So all you have to do is create two servlets and servlet mappings in your xml for each JSP (uploading and downloading.) The param-value i assume will be the upload and download paths in the system.

Refer this example -

PHP:
<servlet>
    <servlet-name>upload</servlet-name>
    <jsp-file>/upload.jsp</jsp-file>
    <init-param>
        <param-name>name</param-name>
        <param-value>"The file path here"</param-value>
    </init-param>
</servlet>
<servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>upload</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/Whatever name you assigned in the html form "action attribute"</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

<servlet-name>download</servlet-name>
    <jsp-file>/download.jsp</jsp-file>
    <init-param>
        <param-name>name</param-name>
        <param-value>"The download path goes here"</param-value>
    </init-param>
</servlet>
<servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>download</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/Whatever name you assigned in the html form "action attribute"</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

Then in each JSP, get the attribute the following way:

In upload.jsp

PHP:
<%= pageContext.getServletConfig.getInitParameter("upload")%>

In download.jsp

PHP:
<%= pageContext.getServletConfig.getInitParameter("download")%>

rohitshubham

Ambassador of Buzz
hey....
so, i was browsing a website/a online quiz which is over now. what we had to do was to to submit a key in the field and i used t check it via this code <form action="check.php" method="post">.
<b>KEY:&nbsp; </b><input type="text" name="key" value="" />
<input type="submit" value="Submit" />
my question was that can i see what is in this check.php so that i can see the answer.
p.s. i am not trying to cheat, just curious, the quiz is way over.

kunalht

In the zone
There is a competition of web designing in our college next week.
& languages allowed are - ASP, ASP.NET , PHP , python , RUBY , silverlight , HTML5 & cold fusion.
I know only xhtml & css.
So question is which one should i start learning now?
& also where can i learn that? any resources....
should i go for HTML5 or any other?

abhidev

Human Spambot
You can use just html5 and css3 if it's just a static webpage/website or use it along with the languages you mentioned to bring some dynamic nature to it

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
There is a competition of web designing in our college next week.
& languages allowed are - ASP, ASP.NET , PHP , python , RUBY , silverlight , HTML5 & cold fusion.
I know only xhtml & css.
So question is which one should i start learning now?
& also where can i learn that? any resources....
should i go for HTML5 or any other?

You should learn HTML5. Its beautiful and has some robust features, immensely useful in web designing.
But now, i suggest you to learn PHP, for developing quick dynamic pages. Its easier to grasp than ASP.NET and others.
You can read and build hands on at the same time. PHP is a server side language. For using ASP.NET, you have to learn C#.

kunalht

In the zone
Okay thanks!.
& can you tell me where to learn it other than books....
You should learn HTML5. Its beautiful and has some robust features, immensely useful in web designing.
But now, i suggest you to learn PHP, for developing quick dynamic pages. Its easier to grasp than ASP.NET and others.
You can read and build hands on at the same time. PHP is a server side language. For using ASP.NET, you have to learn C#.

tech0freak0

tech is in mah bl00d
I'm learning HTML 5 and CSS..
I want to use a good editor for this.

In notepad, first i have write code and then save html file. Its kinda dumb and slow.
It should be like C/C++ editors giving instant results.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Try an editor like Notepad ++. Anyway you have to save the html file before testing.
Or open the html file you created in your browser (Chrome is best) and press F12.
It will open developer tools in the bottom window, which will enable you to change code and see results reflect instantly.

tech0freak0

tech is in mah bl00d
I was checking Digit.in source code, its has about 3000 lines of code:shock:
Some sites even have 15000 lines of code:shock::shock:

These are written by programmer?? or automatically generated by computer?

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
I was checking Digit.in source code, its has about 3000 lines of code:shock:
Some sites even have 15000 lines of code:shock::shock:

These are written by programmer?? or automatically generated by computer?

You mean the HTML of digit.in right? If yes, no it's never written by the programmer :p It's actually the code provided by the framework :p

But mind it, though framework provides a basic layout, you need to customize it accordingly. So as you are thinking, it's not that tough or something rocket science. It's done by developers everyday :p

But if the site is using CMS, then generally it's not needed to write a single line. All the HTML are generated.

tech0freak0

tech is in mah bl00d
You mean the HTML of digit.in right? If yes, no it's never written by the programmer :p It's actually the code provided by the framework :p

But mind it, though framework provides a basic layout, you need to customize it accordingly. So as you are thinking, it's not that tough or something rocket science. It's done by developers everyday :p

But if the site is using CMS, then generally it's not needed to write a single line. All the HTML are generated.

Whats Framework and CMS???....
I new to Web Developing:|

Top Bottom