Portable Laptop advice

I know a lot about performance laptops, cuz they are interesting . However, i have very little knowledge about ultra portable notebooks, so i need some help. So you see, UGC NET results just came out, got qualified for JRF and Asst Proffessor so i am going for direct P.hD.. This means lugging a laptop to the university ALMOST every frigging day. I may be travelling for field work, and visiting various libraries for research.

Ill try to stick to the Questionnaire format.

1) What is your budget?

Under Rs 50,000

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

Thin and Light; 12" - 14" screen

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?

Spreadsheets, Word Documents, PDFs, Typing Typing Typing and more typing , Connectivity to projector via VGA port

4) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eyeing for ?

Anything based on Question no 4 . I have my PC for gaming.

5) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Dell, Samsung, Lenovo, Apple.... ok i am not brand conscious, anything will do
b. Dislike: ummm, i guess Sony since their laptops are still available for purchase even though they rage-quit last year.

6) Anything else you would like to say?
Screen resolution ( 1080p )
Battery back up ( WHOLE DAY )
Purchase place ( Probably online since laptops suck/overpriced in my State )

bikramjitkar

In the zone
You won't get an ultrabook with a 1080p screen and full day battery life under 50k in India. Try and increase your budget and get a Macbook Air for around 60k. Should meet all your requirements except for the 1080p screen. Also afaik, there are no ultrabooks with VGA ports, you'll need to buy a separate adapter for that. If you have any relatives coming from the US, you can get a 2015 Dell XPS 13 for around 900 USD.

OP
mikael_schiffer

mikael_schiffer

Padawan
Hmm seems Macbook Air 13 is the only way to go. Approx 70k...
What about ASUS Zenbook 305 . The Core M CPU is almost as good as the i5 4200U in performance in single threaded apps

bikramjitkar

In the zone
You may want to look into this one: HP 15-ab030TX Pavilion (Notebook) (Core i5 5th Gen/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8.1/ 2GB Graph) (M2W73PA) Rs.53390 Price in India - Buy HP 15-ab030TX Pavilion (Notebook) (Core i5 5th Gen/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8.1/ 2GB Graph) (M2W73PA) Blizzard White Online - HP : Flipkart.

Saw this today at a local shop and was pretty impressed by the build quality and screen. Specs are very good too for the price. Not sure about the battery backup though.

sakumar79

Technomancer
How about Asus X205TA? It is just 15k, ultra light weight, and will probably not have any issues handling basic tasks like Office and PDF... However, do note, screen size is 11.6" if that will be an issue...

Arun

You may want to look into this one: HP 15-ab030TX Pavilion (Notebook) (Core i5 5th Gen/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8.1/ 2GB Graph) (M2W73PA) Rs.53390 Price in India - Buy HP 15-ab030TX Pavilion (Notebook) (Core i5 5th Gen/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8.1/ 2GB Graph) (M2W73PA) Blizzard White Online - HP : Flipkart.

Saw this today at a local shop and was pretty impressed by the build quality and screen. Specs are very good too for the price. Not sure about the battery backup though.

One good thing about ULV processors is that they give good battery life, which most people want, about 90% i would say....

My friends laptops with ulv i5 or i7 gives 5 hrs battery life easily while watching movies (wifi off)

I too think that HP one is a good one....

You can check Flex 2 too.... I couldn't find FHD model in FK though

Top Bottom