Portable Hardisk

andy_65_in

Padawan
Wanted for backing up data....looking for a economic version.....perhaps 500 GB quite enough..please advice which to buy

1TB costs as low as 3k on sales at times.

Get this IMO:
*www.amazon.in/Passport-Portable-Ex...1&keywords=external+hdd&qid=1591883973&sr=8-5

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
If your requirements are low it's better to get a portable SSD instead of HDD

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
If your requirements are low it's better to get a portable SSD instead of HDD
Not worth it in current time because of ssd prices being increased by as much as 60%. Last year one could have bought 480gb ssd for ~3.5-4k in amazon oct/nov sale.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not worth it in current time because of ssd prices being increased by as much as 60%. Last year one could have bought 480gb ssd for ~3.5-4k in amazon oct/nov sale.

But SSD is much more reliable compared to mechanical drives .. the price has been hiked but OP did not mention any budget. Also with his low storage requirement I think reliability matters more.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
But SSD is much more reliable compared to mechanical drives .. the price has been hiked but OP did not mention any budget. Also with his low storage requirement I think reliability matters more.
You can't generalize like that. There are cases of ssd failing too & unlike hdd where there is at least a possibility of predicting failure based on SMART values in many cases, ssd fails suddenly & completely whenever it does. There is no such thing as reliability of hdd/ssd, if you don't have backup of your important data then even the most expensive hdd/ssd does not come with 100% guarantee of reliability.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can't generalize like that. There are cases of ssd failing too & unlike hdd where there is at least a possibility of predicting failure based on SMART values in many cases, ssd fails suddenly & completely whenever it does. There is no such thing as reliability of hdd/ssd, if you don't have backup of your important data then even the most expensive hdd/ssd does not come with 100% guarantee of reliability.

I can understand but if you are considering storage for external use ssds can withstand accidental drops and other shocks, vibration, extreme temperatures, and magnetic fields better than hdds.

When you are driving a vehicle on road nothing is safe means you can control your own vehicle but the other vehicles on the road which you can not control remain as a potential threat. That does not mean we won't look for more safer and reliable rides. I think you got my point.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok I assumed you were talking about internal storage. Yes ssd are certainly more resistant to damage(aka more reliable) when compared to hdd used in an external casing.:)

OP
A

andy_65_in

Padawan
For limited data to be backed up....a hdd might be costly....alternatives would be a cloud storage(privacy??) or lets say a 64 gb pendrive..?..which one??

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
For limited data to be backed up....a hdd might be costly....alternatives would be a cloud storage(privacy??) or lets say a 64 gb pendrive..?..which one??
For cloud storage you can just zip the files with a long complex password(but make sure to not forget/lose it) before backing them up. A 64gb /any pendrive is not a good option for backup.

OP
A

andy_65_in

Padawan
Amazon warranty is only for return/replacement of product within 10/30 days(whichever is applicable). After that you will have to get warranty support from the manufacturer of the product.
I spoke with the seagte service centre near me....he correctly told me warantee will be valid only if product sold to me is genuine...how do i know that

I spoke with the seagte service centre near me....he correctly told me warantee will be valid only if product sold to me is genuine...how do i know that
Just check the serial number of HDD on Seagate's website after purchase. If S/N is not valid, ask amazon for replacement stating fake product (chances of this occurring won't even be 1% IMO).

Its a myth that products bought online* don't have warranty. Maybe once upon a time it didn't but I bought my first laptop in 2013 that too from Flipkart & Lenovo surely honoured my warranty including the 1 year additional manufacturer warranty which FK bundled with it.

*In some cases products do lack warranty but it will be mentioned in listing.

OP
A

andy_65_in

Padawan
brought a seagate backup plus slim 1TB ...directly from ma dealer..Rs 4050.00 genuine,registered succesfully on seagate

Top Bottom