Plz help me buy a Scanner

panacea_amc

CBZ is better than Pulsar
Hello,
I want to buy a scanner. I want it to mainly scan books and covert it to good quality pdf (containing text) using OCR (optical character recognition) softwares like ABBY Fine Reader. I dont want to buy a combo with a printer as i already have a good printer with me. i dont know any price range but my criteria is that the scanned document should not have errors in the OCR processing.
Thanks in advance.

acewin

Point Blanc
you have not mentioned any price budget.
I will suggest any basic HP or canon scanners will do for you which come around 3K

best would be you check prices and models from stores and then search about them with their feature-list. basic flatbed scanners would be good to go

Last edited:
OP
panacea_amc

panacea_amc

CBZ is better than Pulsar
Thanks a lot..
The dealer was quoting a canoscan lide model (model number i forgot)..it has 1200*600 dpi resolution..will it be enough for doing a OCR processing for texts in books or do i have to look for a better dpi resolution?..it is priced at Rs 2970..also, i dont need any expensive OCR software with the package as i already have Abbyy Fine Reader 9 with me..i also heard that the after sales service of canon products are not very good..
What about the HP scanners?
Thanks again.

Last edited:

acewin

Point Blanc
hope I am not late or too late. The dealer must be selling you old model because canon models offer more dpi res than HP ones in same price, check below links
Canon Scanners
Canon Lide 100 -- price quoted in the site is INR 3,295.00

HP Scanners
HP Scanjet G2410

The above are single products from HP and canon in lowest range. HP pricing generally is lower in market than net price but canon you wont find much price difference.

bud, be proactive when you go checking something always remember model names, because internet gives you option of getting complete details. That is what I do when I am looking for some new product.

Canon after sales are not good - source of this information. If dealer/shopkeeper is the reference, you know how they work, they always say negative about things which gives them lower profit or costs lesser LOL. Best thing is again to check over the internet about complaints made. But for one thing which I have heard is some Canon service centers are not good in service providing, but frankly speaking I have lesser idea about this as I do not own any canon product, but IMO canon should be having service similar to HP. These days you need to log a call to customer care get a reference number(ticket number) for your issue and then give your HW to local service center or they send someone to have a look at your product. I know this from my personal experience in HP, Samsung, APC, Lenovo. Canon has good repo in the market so I guess their service should be decent and not pathetic. So, you can check with the Canon customer care calling them what is their process(what information they take etc etc) and which is your nearest service center, verify warranty of the product by product number/serial number. If you have doubts it would be good you know their process beforehand.

the service issue is always bad when the local service center or dealer(from where you bought) are bad.

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Avoid Canon if you want Linux support.

I have Canon LiDE 100 which I had bought for Rs.2500. I am satisfied with it as it is very slim and doesn't require any external power source. USB is more than enough. But I was extremely angry because of ZERO Linux support.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
is not there any method to make it work under linux - I've the same model too.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
is not there any method to make it work under linux - I've the same model too.
There is no way. Like I said, absolutely ZERO Linux support. SANE doesn't have any open source driver implementation and Canon won't open up the specs or create a driver themselves.

Top Bottom