Please suggest me the best RAM for this Mobo

sanudigit

Broken In
Hi,
I have my 4 year old desktop PC configured with an average settings of that time.
Intel Core 2 Duo E7400
Asus P5G41M LX
DDR2 Ram: 2GB
LG Dual layer DVD Writer
1 TB WD green Internal HDD : 5400 rpm
Now I am in a tight spot over upgrade options and hence need some valuable suggestions.
: Very minimal upgrade over the available options;
1. RAM of 2GB more with a total 4 GB DDR2 OR discard the 2GB ddr2 and get a single 4GB DDR3.
* here i have to say that my Mobo memory is at 1066 Mhz.Now most of the available DDR3 rams nowadays run at 1333 / 1600 Mhz. Will there be compatability issue
in that case I will have to do away with Ram upgradation totally.
2. Get a nice graphics card not much for gaming but for multimedia entertainment viz. HD videos / Music
Some light photo/video editing for personal use:
So far I have zeroed in on any standard AMD Radeon HD 6XXX with a preferable 1 GB GDDR5 ( or may be 2-4 GB DDR3 ) which is better ??
* here I have to say that most of the GPUs available are PCI 3.0 .Now I really dont have much idea as what my Mobo PCI express slot version is .
All i know that it is PCI X 16 .( version i dont know)
I have heard that this really wont matter but still want to know for sure.

Given that the other requirements like Keyboard / Mouse / cabinet / PSU etc are taken care of. the above upgrade will cost roughly 10k
and I can invest on a nice laptop( within 35k)
Thanks
Sanu

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
sell old ram.get corsair value select 1333mhz 4gb ram at 2.2k.
all pcie cards are backward compatible. get hd 7750 at 7k as they have good compute performance.
which psu do you have?

OP
S

sanudigit

Broken In
HiI am getting answers and 1 thinks still need to clarify is that my motherboard is a combo ddr2/ddr3 and ddr3 support is 1333 (O.C)/1066/800. Now I was not going for DDR2 ram but for DDR3 ram. As most of nowadays DDR3 RAMs are like 1600 and above MHZ . Only a few RAMs are 1333MHZ . So whether my MOBO will support if I buy say a Corsair 4GB DDR3 1333 Mhz.Thanks

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
yes, your motherboard will support 1333 Mhz or even 1600 Mhz ram modules but as per motherboard's limitation it will run at 1066 Mhz or 800 Mhz speed [ related to cpu bus speed ] unless you manually set the speed.

Top Bottom