Please suggest a modem for Dataone-homeplan

Status
Not open for further replies.

a_medico

Chillum Baba
i have applied for Dataone 900 unlimited homeplan.

We wish to use 2 laptops (centrinos) on that connection.

BSNL people have ran out of stock for the modems so they insisted us to buy the same.

Kindly suggest me which modem to buy? What is the significance of type 1,2,3,4 modems? Which one is better for home use?

Can i use wireless internet with this option? Do i need to buy an extra access point or something similar?

thanks

cyrux

In the zone
Get the modem from BSNL . Insist them to give u a type IV modem .It has wifi acces point + 4 port switch. That too for 2k. You wont get any netgear of linksys modem cheaper that this.

aryan333

Broken In
I think u should go for D-Link 512 kbps modem i am also using this modem and it is working very fine also visit this site and become its member tech-forum.perfectschools.com

OP
a_medico

a_medico

Chillum Baba
will a Netgear wireless router/modem/accesspoint, the so called all-in-one model work for two floor barrier?

OP
a_medico

a_medico

Chillum Baba
also, what is the approximate cost of Netgear all-in-one in mumbai? They are quoting it too high here Rs7200 which I think is too high. In US its approx $35.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
a_medico said:
i have applied for Dataone 900 unlimited homeplan.

We wish to use 2 laptops (centrinos) on that connection.

BSNL people have ran out of stock for the modems so they insisted us to buy the same.
They told me the same thing when I applied for it. I asked another BSNL official and lo, they suddenly had the modem. I would advise you to wait a few days. They obviously will be replenishing their stock, won't they?
I would discourage the use of your own modem because if in future you face some connectivity problems, BSNL will blame the modem and the vendor will blame BSNL. If it is BSNL's own modem, they will replace it even if it is not the source of the problem. :)

cyrux

In the zone
As i said earlier get the modem from the BSNL people. Suppose you have any problems later those fools sitting at the office will blame your modem for it, even if every thing is fine with it. Moreover bsnl modems are value for moeny

Suppose you want to share a connection , then you need to go for a ADSL modem + switch . These types of modems are hard to find in india . You have go for a dialer and switch separately which will of course cost a bomb . So the best solution is to go for a type IV modem

More on BSNL modems

Type I - Cost Rs 1200 Simple adsl modem (may support usb + ethernet eg. huawei mt 882)
Type II - ADSL modem + wifi access pt Rs 1800
Type III - ADSL modem + 4 port switch Rs 1500
Type IV - ADSL modem +4 port switch + wifi access point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom