Please help! Mobo and CPU upgrade

RonXRi94

Right off the assembly line
Hello,

I have a 5 year old gaming build and my mobo just died out. Im looking for a replacement mobo and a compatible cpu which can handle mid to high level gaming, especially GTA 5 and Arkham knight, when it releases.

Following is my current build:

Intel Core i5-750 3.5 Ghz Quad core CPU
Gigabyte GA-P55-US3L motherboard
MSI 5770 Hawk Edition 1GB DDR3 GPU
Corsair TW3X4G1333C9 (4gb) 1333 Mhz RAM
Corsair 450vx PSU
500gb seagate hdd

After looking at several threads and gathering information, I've shortlisted the replacement components as:

1. Asus H97-Plus motherboard
or
Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H motherboard

2. Intel Core i5-4440 CPU
3. Additional 4gb ram

Is this a good build? I realise I'm shifting from 1st-gen i5 to Haswell i5. Will the new motherboard and CPU work well with the rest of the build? Also, is 450 watts psu sufficient for the new build?

Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance:)

DK_WD

WD Official
Hi [MENTION=270871]RonXRi94[/MENTION],

Overall, I like your new selection for PC build. For your information, if you are looking for a high end rig; you really need a good GPU for gaming add need to add the new SSD and HDD for high performance.

After you add the new component in the system then you really need a higher wattage PSU. The minimum requirement for high end rig PSU is 650W.

Hope it helps.

Hrishi

Ron , i would recommend you to sell the existing setup and buy a new one from scratch.
Get an i5-4440 , H97 motherboard, GTX960 atleast, 8GB 1600mhz ram, and 500watt PSU. Add an SSD for lag free usage.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
You can go with the Asus H97 Plus + i5 4440. its a great combo and will last a long time before aging out.

For mid to high level gaming on 1080p (im guessing you have that res) get Asus GTX970 Strix 4GB.

And for all this you need a GOOD power supply. Stick to Seasonic/Corsair. in the 500-600 watt range. I would go for the Seasonic S12II 520. Best in range.

And remember to get the exact same model ram to exploit the benefits of dual channel architecture.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Hello,

I have a 5 year old gaming build and my mobo just died out. Im looking for a replacement mobo and a compatible cpu which can handle mid to high level gaming, especially GTA 5 and Arkham knight, when it releases.

Following is my current build:

Intel Core i5-750 3.5 Ghz Quad core CPU
Gigabyte GA-P55-US3L motherboard
MSI 5770 Hawk Edition 1GB DDR3 GPU
Corsair TW3X4G1333C9 (4gb) 1333 Mhz RAM
Corsair 450vx PSU
500gb seagate hdd

After looking at several threads and gathering information, I've shortlisted the replacement components as:

1. Asus H97-Plus motherboard
or
Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H motherboard

3. Additional 4gb ram

Is this a good build? I realise I'm shifting from 1st-gen i5 to Haswell i5. Will the new motherboard and CPU work well with the rest of the build? Also, is 450 watts psu sufficient for the new build?

Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance:smile:

You can go with the following config:

1. Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H Motherboard
3. Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866Mhz RAM

Yes 450 watts PSU is enough for your present setup.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect

You can go with the following config:

1. Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H Motherboard
3. Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866Mhz RAM

Yes 450 watts PSU is enough for your present setup.

*i.imgur.com/oIXqsfX.png

1. suggesting Gigabyte in place of Asus.

2. that mobo supports upto 1600MHz RAM.

what on earth were you thinking??

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
+1 to @Hrishi's suggestion. That 5770 lacks the power required for running current games at med-high settings, 1080p resolution.

So, you want to run GTA V and Batman. That gpu wont get that.
You would need a new CPU, motherboard, at least 8 GB RAM, a new GPU (minimum 960). And to power all this, a new PSU.

So, why not get a new pc and sell yours?

If low on budget, I would always recommend console (yup this is PC forum). You can get a PS4 for arounds 32k on sites like PayTM and shopclues.

Top Bottom