Please FeedBack Needed urgently!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

archzillanx

Broken In
Hi all,
I am planning for development of a new flavour of Linux. It will be out and out indian version while it will be planned to be optimised only for the entertainment,games,internet(surfing and downloading) etc.. & also running windows applications.The targetted audience will be Home User. It is also meant to be the compete the other entertainment OS. Rock solid stablity will be the keyword here.
I had already got a many new idea regarding optimising it's performance, a stunning new desktop concept etc..
Now what i want from the visitors to this page is to tell me about the possiblity of success of this kinda distro. AGAIN this idea is different from all the linux distros present today.I cannot reveal anymore abut it but your thoughts about it can be helpful for me to start its development. becoz i am confused before moving forward. I would also be interested for any voulenteers if intrested(thats the later part) So please provide me with a feed-back.

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
great thinking satyajit , dont waste anymore time
just go for it

it is surely going to be a great success.

best of luck

tuxfan

Technomancer
I don't want to discourage you, but your distro has to be fantastic and excellent if you expect that people should use it.

Primarily, people will worry about the support. If you are an individual or a small company, that would be difficult for sure. What have you thought about that?

Secondly, you can expect support via forums, etc. only if there are many users. So that is a vicious circle. If there is no support, there are no users. But if there are no users, how will support base ever develop.

IMO, if one of the popular mags review your distro and gives it a good rating, it has some scope. Making and maintaining a distro is not a easy job. How will you survive financially?

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
As far as i can recollect, these are the few indian GNULinux distributions which offer something different than other mainstream distributons.

PCQ Linux 2005 (PCQuest )
ELX Linux (*www.elxlinux.com/)
SLYNUX (Indepent Developer)
Gnoware (TIFR)
JanaBhaarti (C-DAC)

and dozens of others.

I'd like to know why would i want to use your distribution and not these.

OP
A

archzillanx

Broken In
Well first of all thanks JIJO,Rajrulesdear,tuxfan and GNUrag.
well the answer for GNUrag's question is the OS being planned by me is in very very very primary stage.but the idea of the OS is based on Linux. But primary objective of the OS will be it will be meant for the Home Users and a very normal and novice kinda users. the idea is to provide the masses with the kinda of OS which is totally transprent. Transperency regarding the features being installed . it will have the features which will be only used by the common users . There will be a very basic type of the Networking in it some of the major features which linux provides will be stripped off this version which will as i think will never be used by the home users . OS will be intended to be completely User-friendly. i am working on totally a new concept of the desktop of course it will be base d on KDE or GNOME. But it will be very different you can call the a plastic surgery will be performed. But some major feature of the OS which i have planned is Presetting , An out-n-out support for the all the Multimedia Devices(TV tuner MAinly) you can call it inderictly the Linux based Media center.But it will be very very very easy to figure out of an ordinary user to figure out what-is-what. The distro of linux will only be meant for and should be seen only as inteded for the Home System. It will have a never before seen WINE(r) type of integretion so that windows user will feel as shifting to new home.Also many features will be added as it will lead to development stages. I know it may seem bit diffcult , i also don't know what i am planning will see the daylight or not but i will surely be starting working on it. One thing that will be different form all the linux disrtos here is it will be intended only for entertainment and a bit learning purposes and some basic features as well.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Okay then, best of luck.

All i know is RedHat's Fedora series, Novell's Desktop series, Knoppix and most of the others are also aimed towards home comsumers.

am in no way discouraging you. All the best

Aijaz Akhtar

Journeyman
GNUrag said:
As far as i can recollect, these are the few indian GNULinux distributions which offer something different than other mainstream distributons.

PCQ Linux 2005 (PCQuest )
ELX Linux (*www.elxlinux.com/)
SLYNUX (Indepent Developer)
Gnoware (TIFR)
JanaBhaarti (C-DAC)

and dozens of others.

I'd like to know why would i want to use your distribution and not these.

But are Gnoware/Janabharati installable ones. I thought they are LIVE only

Aijaz Akhtar

Journeyman
Why not give one in Digit DVD. Well, for a new Induian disro, one should attempt for an Indianised version, with interfaces in all Indian languages that are available, check utkarsh Gujarati, janabharati, Ankur Bengali, Rangoli Hindi etc., and those implemented e.g. in PCQLinux 2005. make it as user friendly as Linspire yet full of features, like, say ArkLinux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom