[PlanningToBuy] Gaming Laptop

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

1) What is your budget?
(INR or USD)
A.) Min Rs. 1.75Lacs - Max Rs.2.0 Lacs

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

A.) Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?

A.) Playing most AAA titles at 1080p (no 4k here) 1920 x 1080 is sufficient for my need in the 15"-16" Screen Category.
(I don't need it for work related purpose, but as this will be a Gaming Laptop, i guess it can very well handle Coding/Programming, BI Tools and VMWare Apps as well).

4) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
15"-16" FullHD (1080p) Screen with
Slimmer profile (Dimensions) with
minimum of 256 GB or 512 GB SSD,
16GB RAM,
8GB GPU

5) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: MSi, Asus (ROG series)
b. Dislike: (i wont say i Dislike but they are secondary choices) Gigabyte

6) Anything else you would like to say?
  • Screen resolution ( 1080p (Full HD) )
  • Battery back up ( nothing too fuzzy about this parameter)
  • Purchase place ( Local - most preferably through a Distributor in Mumbai (as can get 5/8/10% Discount on the street price), plus buying locally will help me get Warranty in case of any worries/glitches).

Dear All: Had shortlisted MSi's GS65 Stealth Thin (model - 205IN) with:
-> 15.6" Full HD Screen
-> nVidia 2070 with Max-Q (8 GB)
-> 16GB RAM,
-> 256 GB M.2 storage.

But, the only thing holding me back are the lack of honest reviews about MSi Gaming Laptops (in general) and their Service (RMA) support here in India (Mumbai).

So, help needed with all of you, Readers inputs.

Cheers n e-peace....

Even I have heard of not so good RMA experience for MSI, so I personally try to avoid them. In my case lack of international warranty rules them out as I live in the US right now.

Your money is better spent if you can get a laptop from US. Although international warranty is only good if that mode is available in India, which is an issue right now for RTX laptops. So MSI seems to be your only option now. Warranty works fine even if you buy online. I bought my Lenovo Y500 in 2013 from Flipkart & its 2 years of warranty was honored by Lenovo. Bought my current laptop from paytm & I was successfully able to buy extended warranty for 2 more years from Dell & transfer all that warranty to US.

Wait for a month or two if you can as Lenovo Y740/Y540 & Alienware m15 might get launched. Asus Zephyrus S has a poor battery life, like 3 hrs at max. If you are fine with that maybe wait for that. Among those 3, Alienware has the most chances of getting launched because Alienware 15 R series is getting discontinued.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@anupam_pb : Thank you! for the prompt reply buddy. Well, Yes! I have time on my hands, (since it is a gaming laptop) so I can take time to decide. (As space is an issue hence opting for a Laptop) Else previously I had a well oiled machine (1st Gen Intel Core i7-920).

Will look at other options surely (The Lenovo Y740) : )

Cheers n e-peace...

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Went through this link... Not sure if it's more of a Promo or a real comparison of True features:

Note: The MSi's GS75 & GS65 are right up there (2nd from top)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
There have been some bad rma experience stories recently on reddit(indiangaming section) about MSI(especially graphics card & laptops) so take that into account too.

Went through this link... Not sure if it's more of a Promo or a real comparison of True features:

Note: The MSi's GS75 & GS65 are right up there (2nd from top)
Its not a good thing to rank them without reviewing them properly. Still its the author's opinion. MSI GS65 & 75 have inverted motherboard, so much more difficult RAM/storage addition (not so much in GS75 because the gave cutouts for M.2 slot). That's another reason against MSI GS series.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
There have been some bad rma experience stories recently on reddit(indiangaming section) about MSI(especially graphics card & laptops) so take that into account too.
Hmm... yup, the MSi brand (especially in India) is beaten down badly due to its really poor RMA Service ....

Its not a good thing to rank them without reviewing them properly. Still its the author's opinion. MSI GS65 & 75 have inverted motherboard, so much more difficult RAM/storage addition (not so much in GS75 because the gave cutouts for M.2 slot). That's another reason against MSI GS series.
Yes, this is a valid point regarding upgradation options...

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
@anupam_pb : Thank you! for the prompt reply buddy. Well, Yes! I have time on my hands, (since it is a gaming laptop) so I can take time to decide. (As space is an issue hence opting for a Laptop) Else previously I had a well oiled machine (1st Gen Intel Core i7-920).

Will look at other options surely (The Lenovo Y740) : )

Cheers n e-peace...
Wait Dell G5 and G7 with RTX 2060 & GTX 1660Ti Laptops will be available from March end in India via Brick & Mortar Stores.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Wait Dell G5 and G7 with RTX 2060 & GTX 1660Ti Laptops will be available from March end in India via Brick & Mortar Stores.
@bssunilreddy : Aah! After a Long Long time buddy, Hope you doing well!

Offtopic: Will it be wise to build just the CPU rather (with the amount of money i am planning to pump for a Gaming Laptop) and hook it up to my 55" OLED TV instead?
Is it possible to game on my LG 55" (B6T) OLED TV with a suitably STRONG! CPU Only+Kybrd+Mouse configuration (No monitor)?

(So that when there is NO Need to game, I can disconnect the CPU via the HDMI Cable from the OLED TV and keep the CPU Aside (in another room, due to space constraints).

Cheers n e-peace....

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
That TV is 4k so you will need a 1080Ti to run all latest games at 4k.

P.S. cpu means processor,what you meant to say would be cabinet.:)

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
That TV is 4k so you will need a 1080Ti to run all latest games at 4k.
P.S. cpu means processor,what you meant to say would be cabinet.:)

Yes Buddy, Ofcourse that's what I meant as well. lol.

CPU (Processor+Cooler+mobo+RAM+GPU) with a Good Ventilated Cabinet (CoolerMaster HAF kind of)

Hence,
(Just need an opinion) between Gaming Laptop -or- Gaming Cabinet based system (on a 55" 4K OLED tv, Minus the OLED tv, Ofcourse).

Cheers n e-peace...

@bssunilreddy : Aah! After a Long Long time buddy, Hope you doing well!

Offtopic: Will it be wise to build just the CPU rather (with the amount of money i am planning to pump for a Gaming Laptop) and hook it up to my 55" OLED TV instead?
Is it possible to game on my LG 55" (B6T) OLED TV with a suitably STRONG! CPU Only+Kybrd+Mouse configuration (No monitor)?

(So that when there is NO Need to game, I can disconnect the CPU via the HDMI Cable from the OLED TV and keep the CPU Aside (in another room, due to space constraints).

Cheers n e-peace....
A desktop is always better & cheaper than a gaming laptop, especially in India. If you aren't carrying it around, built a PC. For 2 lakhs, you can build a good gaming PC with RTX 2060 for 1.5 lakhs & buy a cheap 1080p i3 laptop for portability(with SSD as main storage, it will suffice for normal usage).

I'm sure you would find some place to keep your desktop (it just needs a small table unless you get more than 1 monitor) or keep it hooked to TV all the time. Connecting & disconnecting stuffs everyday is not something which many people will do.

Desktop 2060 will outperform a laptop 2070 Max Q or even a full 2070.

^^But his TV is 4k & I don't think 2060 is enough for 4k for all latest games but still correct me if I am wrong.
You can always play at lower resolutions. 2060 is good for 1440p & 4K for just some games like FIFA & Forza Horizon 4 (4K 60fps at ultra) or games that don't need 60fps, like ACO, SOTR, etc at high instead of ultra.

BTW a laptop RTX 2060 is somewhere in between desktop 1060 & 1070.

*cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/2YLeSMvu476Bp8Gu3Ry6mF-650-80.png

*cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/yBHrJQSVW3C32bwcSfSWEE-650-80.png

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Have seen how difficult it is to Upgrade/Clean the MSI GS65 Stealth Thin, (the motherboard being placed in an upside down position), Hence will refrain from buying this, Instead will look at the Lenovo Legion Y730 (older model) or the 2019 Y740 (15.6").

Have seen how difficult it is to Upgrade/Clean the MSI GS65 Stealth Thin, (the motherboard being placed in an upside down position), Hence will refrain from buying this, Instead will look at the Lenovo Legion Y730 (older model) or the 2019 Y740 (15.6").
Y730 was never launched in India, from what I know & Y740 might not even launch in the future. Y540 might get launched after May when 9th gen CPUs are out, but most likely they will bring GTX 1660 & 1660Ti models.

Y740 with RTX 2060 starts at $1500 in the US, which would be 1.4-1.5 lakhs in India (after taxes), which is a lot of money & rarely anyone would buy it. I doubt any 2060 laptop would cost under 1.2 lakhs in India (in case Y540 with 2060 gets launched), I would be happy if I'm wrong.

Alienware m15 should get launched with RTX 2060 soon (maybe for 1.8 lakhs), or after 9th gen is out. Asus has launched GL504GV with 2060 for 1.65 lakhs (costs $1700 in US).

Top Bottom