Planning to buy a new PC.. Please suggest config...

pvakr

Right off the assembly line
Hi all,

I am using acer laptop from 2+ years.Now i am planning to buy a PC.

Purpose:
Movies, surfing web,music..
I don't play games.
I don't use high end applications but i spend lot of time on PC....sometimes i work for more than 20 hours/day on my PC.

Please suggest config depending on the above ....

Thanks

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
and answer these questions:

1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A:
2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A:
3. What is your MAX budget?
A:
4. Planning to overclock?
A:
5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A:
6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A:
7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want?
A:
8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A:
9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A:
10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A:
11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A:
12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A:
13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A:
14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A:

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Since the thread opener doesn't seem to be coming frequently, I am suggesting a few alternatives at various price points:

Ultra Low Budget:

AMD Athlon II X2 250 - 3k
Biostar TA785G3 HD - 4k
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333Mhz - 2.6k
Seagate 500GB HDD - 2k
DVD RW - 1k
Cooler master elite 310 - 1.5k
Logitech Internet Combo - .7k
BenQ 20" - 6k
Speakers - 1k

Total - ~22k

Low Budget:

AMD Athlon II X3 435 - 3.5k
Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H - 4.5k
Seagate 1TB - 3.5k
BenQ 22" Full HD - 8k

rest are same

Total - ~27k

Moderate Budget:

AMD Athlon II X4 635 - 5.2k
Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H - 4.5k
Corsair 2*2GB DDR3 1333Mhz - 5.4k
WD Blue 500GB + WD Green 1TB - 2.1k + 3.6k = 5.7k (lots of storage for HD movies)
NZXT Gamma - 2.2k
FSP Saga II 400W - 2.1k
Logitech Wireless Combo - 1.5k
BenQ 24" - 11.5k
Speakers - 2k

Total - ~40k

High Budget:

Add a graphics card: HD5670 - 5.2k
FSP Saga II 500W - 2.8k

Total - ~46k

You can work out any other combination from the above components. I am sure you wouldn't want to go higher than this

OP
P

pvakr

Thanks cool buddy.

I like the moderate budget .
Coming to mother board, which is best between biostar and gigabyte for this processor ?
And i want a blueray combo.. suggest a good one.
IS Benq 24'' full HD? IS Benq 20'' full HD? What about acer monitors?
What are the advantages if i use NZXT Gamma - 2.2k and FSP Saga II 400W - 2.1k over a normal box with smps?
I used microsoft wireless mouse long back..very difficult to use,it works only 1-2 feet range... Is logitech wireless kit good ? What is the range(distance)?

Sorry for asking more questions.

Thanks.

mavihs

Techie By Heart
Thanks cool buddy.

I like the moderate budget .
Coming to mother board, which is best between biostar and gigabyte for this processor ?
And i want a blueray combo.. suggest a good one.
IS Benq 24'' full HD? IS Benq 20'' full HD? What about acer monitors?
What are the advantages if i use NZXT Gamma - 2.2k and FSP Saga II 400W - 2.1k over a normal box with smps?
I used microsoft wireless mouse long back..very difficult to use,it works only 1-2 feet range... Is logitech wireless kit good ? What is the range(distance)?

Sorry for asking more questions.

Thanks.
how about answering some of ours!

OP
P

pvakr

@shivam

sorry .. i didn't get you.. Are you talking about filling the above template?

OP
P

pvakr

1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A: I will use the computer 90% of the time for web browsing.. I use it for movies and music.No high end work.I don't play games.I use it daily 15-20 hours.I need a computer that runs smoothly for long hours.Please suggest me processors and mobos which are good for running long hours and that doesn't have hang up problems.A low end budget PC 20" can do my work in my openion.But what i am expecting is smooth running for long hours for atleast 2 years.I don't want to visit service centers often.I hope i explained it clearly.
2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: Yes
3. What is your MAX budget?
A: I don't have any budget limits..I need a good config that is just enof for my work.
4. Planning to overclock?
A:No
5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: I normally use Ubuntu.. But i will install windows 7 also for some other purposes.
6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: 500 GB - 1 TB
7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want?
A:20'' is enough.. I want a good enough screen for watching high quality movies.I don't play games.
8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A:5
9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A:I can build it.. I have some knowledge. But i will use an assembler if available.
10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: within 2 weeks
11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A:Yes
12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A:I don't like samsung and LG parts.
13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A:hyderabad
14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A:

thanks

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
BenQ 20" is 1600x900, 24" is full HD
Better cabinets have better build quality and keep your components safer, better heat dissipation etc.
Branded SMPS have longer lives, longer warranty, consume less electricity and once again, keep your components safe.
I'd suggest buying the 880G board
Blu ray is new in the market and since internet has become cheaper, people are using optical drives less. So price is also not falling as much as dvd drives. Better not buy it now or ignore it altogether. I don't think people would be able to suggest anything.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
earlier wireless mice used to work based on laser pointers, but now they use RF. so no problem of line of sight. Range is also much better now. They use a tiny receiver which is almost invisible after plugging into the USB. I don't have one myself but have used one or two. wireless mouse is good for movie watching coz when you sit at a slight distance, it makes it easier to control the volume, seek etc. without moving from your place, kinda remote control.
If you are going to spend around 40k, I'd say dont go for a generic SMPS, use a branded one like FSP Saga II 400W or Corsair CX 400W. The retailer might suggest Cooler Master Xtreme, don't go for that one, that is worse than an iBall or zebronics coz it ain't cheap either.

Top Bottom