Planning to buy a laptop. Is the price vs config good enough?

Jags

Journeyman
Hi,

I am going to buy a laptop that comes with, i5-3210M, 4GB RA, 500GB HDD, ATI Radeon HD 7610M 1 GB Dedicated Graphics for around 38K.

1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)
around 35K - 40K (can take it up a bit)

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Purpose: I mostly use my computer for Development. So expect 2-3 instances of visual studio with lots of tabs in chrome and maybe firefox as well.

Budget: somewhere b/w 35-40K I suppose

4) keyboard must come with numpad should be close to desktop keyboard. I use lots of shortcuts so ctrl should be at bottom left. windows key right next to alt..

5)
Since this processor is 3rd Gen, do you think it will have major impact on performance? Maybe there is a better configuration available around the same price. I am not sure how much noticeable impact will a latest gen processor going to have or maybe i5-3rd gen is too outdated?

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Hrishi

If you don't play games at all , then the integrated GPU of the IVB should suffice.
Save that money and spend in on a SSD or I7 config.

More cores and faster drive access will provide a better programming experience.

If you don't play games at all , then the integrated GPU of the IVB should suffice.
Save that money and spend in on a SSD or I7 config.

More cores and faster drive access will provide a better programming experience.

OP
Jags

Jags

Journeyman
Which make is this laptop?model number etc it'll help us help u better :)

model doesn't really matter. What I mainly want to know "Since this processor is 3rd Gen, do you think it will have major impact on performance?" moving to latest gen i5 laptop will have noticeable impact based on my usage in developement.

@Rishi, @Shadow:

#1 Is a Dedicated GPU really useless if my usage if only s/w developement? I thought if I have a dedicated GPU then all the windows 8 OS animations, visual studio GUI, chrome css3 animations etc will render on GPU leaving my core-i5 processor to be free for all the other CPU tasks like code compilation..etc.

#2 And is i5 3rd gen good enough or should I opt for latest gen i5? I dont want to go for i7 as they are quite expensive..

#3 i5 with GPU or i7 without GPU: which one will perform better?

Hrishi

model doesn't really matter. What I mainly want to know "Since this processor is 3rd Gen, do you think it will have major impact on performance?" moving to latest gen i5 laptop will have noticeable impact based on my usage in developement.

@Rishi, @Shadow:

#1 Is a Dedicated GPU really useless if my usage if only s/w developement? I thought if I have a dedicated GPU then all the windows 8 OS animations, visual studio GUI, chrome css3 animations etc will render on GPU leaving my core-i5 processor to be free for all the other CPU tasks like code compilation..etc.

#2 And is i5 3rd gen good enough or should I opt for latest gen i5? I dont want to go for i7 as they are quite expensive..

#3 i5 with GPU or i7 without GPU: which one will perform better?

The latest Haswell Processors are good at providing longer battery life and almost twice the integrated GPU performance compared to HD4000.
The IV Bridge processors are more than enough for everyday computing specially because of hyper threading. In my opinion go for the fastest CPU available within your budget. Graphic computing like rendering your basic non-gaming tasks can easily be done through latest Intel HD igpu.
In fact , they are almost as fast as many modern entry level class GPU.

Why spend on something you won't be using ?? Spend it on better parts instead.

Hrishi

And don't worry modern computers have enough technology so as not to load the graphic computing on CPU.

OP
Jags

Jags

Journeyman
The latest Haswell Processors are good at providing longer battery life and almost twice the integrated GPU performance compared to HD4000.
The IV Bridge processors are more than enough for everyday computing specially because of hyper threading. In my opinion go for the fastest CPU available within your budget. Graphic computing like rendering your basic non-gaming tasks can easily be done through latest Intel HD igpu.
In fact , they are almost as fast as many modern entry level class GPU.

Why spend on something you won't be using ?? Spend it on better parts instead.

Thanks for the advice Rishi...It took me a bit of googling to figure out that Haswell are 4th gen and and IVY are 3rd gen :p

4th gen laptops will be out of my budget range..I will go with a 3rd gen!

Thanks once again!

$hadow

Geek in making
For budget 4th gen you have to wait. Since manufacturers are pushing i7 first and they are quiet costly. Better look in your local market for faster processor laptop.

OP
Jags

Jags

Journeyman
@shadow: quite right...I think I will go for a 3rd gen i5..wait for 4th gen laptop in my budget will take forever!

sialnuan

Right off the assembly line
I am planning to buy a new laptop with budget of Rs 60k. I am confused on selection of brand and its model.

1) Budget : 60K

2) size & weight consideration : 14-15

3) brands : a. Like:Sony, Lenovo, HP, Samsung, Toshiba
b. Dislike:DELL

4) primary tasks : Data Working at home + Multimedia,

5) What screen resolution(s) & type (no preference) : FULL HD

6) Anything else you would like to say? 2GB Graphics

currently i have dell studio 1555 laptop. i faced lot of problem on current laptop. i have replaced motherboard, charger(2 times), DVD drive, fan, battery, hard disk. So i need a laptop without having problem at least for 2 years. I have shortlisted some laptop brands, can u please tell me which laptop is best.
Sony : SVF15219
Toshiba : Satellite L850-Y5310
HP : Envy 15-J049tx
Samsung : NP550P5C - S06IN
S03IN

Top Bottom