Pixlr won't open

patkim

Cyborg Agent
I am able to replicate the issue on real hardware too. Pixlr fails to load subsequent times on my Asus Windows 10 Home 1809 Laptop. However deleting server.json from the profile fixes it. What version of pixlr and Windows 10 you have? Specially Windows 10 because each version of Windows 10 breaks something in installed apps and this app might not have ever been tested on Windows 10 as it's not been maintained since 2015.

What if you delete the entire folder Autodesk from the profile? Is Pixlr fooled into believing that it's a first run (You may lose your settings though)?

Your laptop being work laptop might have some constraints under mobile computing policy set by your org.
Have you installed the app as admin? is your current Windows user administrator or a standard user?

To see how this trick works, check out this screen capture to animated gif image uploaded at Imgur

Last edited:
OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
I am able to replicate the issue on real hardware too. Pixlr fails to load subsequent times on my Asus Windows 10 Home 1809 Laptop. However deleting server.json from the profile fixes it. What version of pixlr and Windows 10 you have? Specially Windows 10 because each version of Windows 10 breaks something in installed apps and this app might not have ever been tested on Windows 10 as it's not been maintained since 2015.

What if you delete the entire folder Autodesk from the profile? Is Pixlr fooled into believing that it's a first run (You may lose your settings though)?

Your laptop being work laptop might have some constraints under mobile computing policy set by your org.
Have you installed the app as admin? is your current Windows user administrator or a standard user?

To see how this trick works, check out this screen capture to animated gif image uploaded at Imgur
Pixlr version v 1.1.1.2015...........
Windows 1809 build 17763.316
Working now. I deleted the C:> Autodesk folder where it unpacks before installing and its working fine. Please share the .bat file to auto delete that .json file. Thanks a lot.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Well, I was not talking about C:\Autodesk but C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Autodesk folder. Deleting this folder fools Pixlr into believing that it’s a fresh install. However you do lose your settings, so better to only delete the .json file.
Follow these steps.

Create a blank text file on Desktop or in your preferred folder.
Completely rename the file as pixlr.bat including its extension. Extension must be .bat
Now open the file in Notepad (Right click - Edit)
Put the following lines in it

@echo off
del "C:\Users\Test\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Pixlr\Effects\server.json"
cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\Autodesk Pixlr\bin"
start pixlr.exe
exit

Note that in second line, you will have to replace Test with your Windows username.
If you are a standard user just double click this BAT file. If you are an administrator and in case the BAT file gives any errors, create a shortcut to it and run the shortcut as Administrator
For better results, add this bat file as a trusted file in your antivirus settings, else it could be sandboxed still resulting into incorrect behavior of the app.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Well, I was not talking about C:\Autodesk but C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Autodesk folder. Deleting this folder fools Pixlr into believing that it’s a fresh install. However you do lose your settings, so better to only delete the .json file.
Follow these steps.

Completely rename the file as pixlr.bat including its extension. Extension must be .bat

@echo off
start pixlr.exe
exit

Note that in second line, you will have to replace Test with your Windows username.
If you are a standard user just double click this BAT file. If you are an administrator and in case the BAT file gives any errors, create a shortcut to it and run the shortcut as Administrator
For better results, add this bat file as a trusted file in your antivirus settings, else it could be sandboxed still resulting into incorrect behavior of the app.
Thanks brother. Will do and get back.
In my case C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Autodesk only works if we delete the unpacked folder located at C:\Autodesk

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Follow these steps.

@echo off
start pixlr.exe
exit

The BAT file isn't working for me, but if I delete that file as you have suggested in the earlier posts it works fine.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Have you replaced 'Test' or <username> with your actual Windows username in the .BAT file?
You might need to run the BAT file as an Administrator. Create a shortcut to the .BAT on to your desktop. Right click and run as administrator

Except echo off command can you run the individual commands in a Command Prompt one by one and tell me what error it gives if any?

Last edited:
OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
@patkim
Have you replaced 'Test' or <username> with your actual Windows username in the .BAT file?
You might need to run the BAT file as an Administrator. Create a shortcut to the .BAT on to your desktop. Right click and run as administrator

Did follow those steps and replaced it with my username.

Except echo off command can you run the individual commands in a Command Prompt one by one and tell me what error it gives if any?
I did not try in cmd, give me time will try and report back.

Top Bottom