Pixlr won't open

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Hi,

I am using Pixlr in my work pc. From the past couple of days, it won't open when I try to open it. Even as an admin I can't open it. The only way to open it is by uninstalling the installed one and then reinstalling from the installer. But if I close it after installing and then try to open it after say few minutes, hours then we are back to square one. The OS is 10. I am a noob and only Pixlr will solve my purpose. In the process tab of Task Manager, there is no Pixlr process when it doesn't open. What should I do?

Thanks

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
See if there is an update for pixlr. Also try some uninstalling utility like revo uninstaller free version to completely uninstall the software & then install it fresh.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Did you or the admin install any other apps/programs in the last 2 days?
Did Windows download and install any updates therein in last 2 days?

If work policy allows the in consultation with Admin try system restore if it was ever enabled on your system.

Also just give it a try

open Command prompt as administrator (Create a shortcut to CMD on desktop, then right click and click Run as Administrator)

change directory to where the pixlr exe file exists
now type in the command START <filename.exe> /HIGH /ABOVENORMAL
e.g. if the exe is pixlr.exe then it would be START pixlr.exe /HIGH /ABOVENORMAL
You must be in the same directory as where the exe exists else give full path to exe in double quotes

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Are you noticing any other peculiar behavior in your windows 10 system? If yes, then it must be some BIRUS.
You have two options now:
Use pixlr web version
Switch to Linux. Mint is a great starting point. If pixler don't have a linux version, ditch pixlr. Try to learn FOSS image editor like GIMP.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Photo editor online - Pixlr.com - Is this the one ? Because its a browser based app. There is nothing to install here?
Yes it is. And I use this browser based one only. It's enough for random and small photoshopping needs.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
See if there is an update for pixlr. Also try some uninstalling utility like revo uninstaller free version to completely uninstall the software & then install it fresh.
No update. Rather they have stopped the windows software development. Mine is not connected to the internet, I mean I have disabled the sharing of the data. I always use Revo Uninstaller. I have the pro version.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Did you or the admin install any other apps/programs in the last 2 days?
Did Windows download and install any updates therein in last 2 days?

If work policy allows the in consultation with Admin try system restore if it was ever enabled on your system.

Also just give it a try

open Command prompt as administrator (Create a shortcut to CMD on desktop, then right click and click Run as Administrator)

change directory to where the pixlr exe file exists
now type in the command START <filename.exe> /HIGH /ABOVENORMAL
e.g. if the exe is pixlr.exe then it would be START pixlr.exe /HIGH /ABOVENORMAL
You must be in the same directory as where the exe exists else give full path to exe in double quotes

Nope, no software or update from the past 4 days.
Its my laptop, so no admin crap here.
Let me try the cmd thing and I will get back.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Are you noticing any other peculiar behavior in your windows 10 system? If yes, then it must be some BIRUS.
You have two options now:
Use pixlr web version
Switch to Linux. Mint is a great starting point. If pixler don't have a linux version, ditch pixlr. Try to learn FOSS image editor like GIMP.

Nope, no virus. Trust me I know what sites to visit or what to download.
You can't loop me in for Linux, YET ;)

patkim

Cyborg Agent
BTW did you give it a try to the START command I mentioned in my earlier post?

What if you boot Windows 10 in Safe Mode and try to run the app? Does it run this time, at least to check?

Also try setting the app to run in a Compatibility mode for Windows 7. May be a Windows 10 update might have broken something.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
BTW did you give it a try to the START command I mentioned in my earlier post?

What if you boot Windows 10 in Safe Mode and try to run the app? Does it run this time, at least to check?

Also try setting the app to run in a Compatibility mode for Windows 7. May be a Windows 10 update might have broken something.

My reply to you vanished, yes I tried but it didn't work though.

Let me try in safe mode. Even in compatibility mode it didn't open.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Try creating another user (local user) on your Windows 10 for the time being and try running the app again when logged in as that new user. Just to eliminate if there's any user profile related issue.

If you have time and patience, also try creating a virtual machine say a virtual Windows 10 within your Windows 10 for the time being (just for testing purposes) and see if it runs consistently from within the virtual machine.

However if you are in a corporate network such tryouts may not be allowed by the IT policy.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Try creating another user (local user) on your Windows 10 for the time being and try running the app again when logged in as that new user. Just to eliminate if there's any user profile related issue.

If you have time and patience, also try creating a virtual machine say a virtual Windows 10 within your Windows 10 for the time being (just for testing purposes) and see if it runs consistently from within the virtual machine.

However if you are in a corporate network such tryouts may not be allowed by the IT policy.

Safe mode didn't work. User profile can be tried. VM, can't do that. What I can do is try that installer in my home pc and will update here.
If Windows update was the reason then it wouldn't open for even once after the installation.

Samik

Right off the assembly line
I am facing the same issue in my laptop. It is a brand new Windows 10. I install pixlr, it opens, then I close it and it never re-opens. I actually have to uninstall, then re-install it fresh to get it opened. It is happening every time.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
When I had some free time, I decided to experiment with your issue and I could reproduce the same in both Windows 7 64 SP1 as well as Windows 10 64 (1809) for Pixlr Desktop v1.1.1.0. Experiments were carried out in VMWare Virtual Machines. Generally they should resemble the real system but there are some subtle limitations though.

Actually upon the subsequent execution, it’s a dll named libPixlrCore.dll that silently crashes on Windows 10 at offset ed4ef Hex. Refer the event viewer for more details.

I opened the dll in Hex Editor and tried to put opcode for NOP (No operation) there but then the app would just abruptly crash upon execution. Then I disassembled that DLL & it appeared like the code executes a conditional jump near that address, so NOP was a sure shot crash.

Then I trapped registry events using Process Monitor for both fresh and subsequent run but did not find anything specific that might indicate difference between fresh and subsequent run.

Then I looked into the Local profile files created by the app under C:\users\<username>\appdata\local\Autodesk and decided to wipe it out. This is hidden folder.

Now Pixlr is fooled into believing that it’s a fresh run and it freshly starts every time!

To be more specific app actually has issues with contents of the file it creates upon accessing internet in the background. C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Pixlr\Effects\server.json.

You can create a BAT file to delete this one file from your local profile first and then start the app the way you like e.g. you can try START command in BAT or simply double click the desktop icon as usual. This has worked for me under VMWare Virtual Machine, I hope you get the same results at your end.

Despite, I personally did not find it as a stable application, even after a fresh install, the app kept randomly crashing here and there and asked me to connect to internet for best results, even though I was already online. (It might have to do with limited resources under VM). It’s a freeware and has not been actively developed anymore since 2015. Seems they have moved to the web based app.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
When I had some free time, I decided to experiment with your issue and I could reproduce the same in both Windows 7 64 SP1 as well as Windows 10 64 (1809) for Pixlr Desktop v1.1.1.0. Experiments were carried out in VMWare Virtual Machines. Generally they should resemble the real system but there are some subtle limitations though.

Actually upon the subsequent execution, it’s a dll named libPixlrCore.dll that silently crashes on Windows 10 at offset ed4ef Hex. Refer the event viewer for more details.

I opened the dll in Hex Editor and tried to put opcode for NOP (No operation) there but then the app would just abruptly crash upon execution. Then I disassembled that DLL & it appeared like the code executes a conditional jump near that address, so NOP was a sure shot crash.

Then I trapped registry events using Process Monitor for both fresh and subsequent run but did not find anything specific that might indicate difference between fresh and subsequent run.

Then I looked into the Local profile files created by the app under C:\users\<username>\appdata\local\Autodesk and decided to wipe it out. This is hidden folder.

Now Pixlr is fooled into believing that it’s a fresh run and it freshly starts every time!

To be more specific app actually has issues with contents of the file it creates upon accessing internet in the background. C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Pixlr\Effects\server.json.

You can create a BAT file to delete this one file from your local profile first and then start the app the way you like e.g. you can try START command in BAT or simply double click the desktop icon as usual. This has worked for me under VMWare Virtual Machine, I hope you get the same results at your end.

Despite, I personally did not find it as a stable application, even after a fresh install, the app kept randomly crashing here and there and asked me to connect to internet for best results, even though I was already online. (It might have to do with limited resources under VM). It’s a freeware and has not been actively developed anymore since 2015. Seems they have moved to the web based app.

Thank you so much brother for going through the trouble. You are so kind. Noob here so can you please share the bat file here which needs to be executed?
A billion likes for your effort.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Sure..can you please confirm if the trick works for you or not? Sometimes there are subtle differences between Virtual and Real machine and OS.
This problematic file in question is hidden inside your profile. So you first need to unhide the folder by accessing Explorer --> View Menu --> Options --> Change Folder & Search Options --> View Tab --> Check 'Show Hidden files folders and drives' then Click OK.
Now access C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Pixlr\Effects\ and delete the file server.json. Replace <username> with your actual Windows username.

Now try running app again. Hope it should run file now. Do update, if this works, then I can suggest a suitable BAT file.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Sure..can you please confirm if the trick works for you or not? Sometimes there are subtle differences between Virtual and Real machine and OS.
This problematic file in question is hidden inside your profile. So you first need to unhide the folder by accessing Explorer --> View Menu --> Options --> Change Folder & Search Options --> View Tab --> Check 'Show Hidden files folders and drives' then Click OK.
Now access C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Pixlr\Effects\ and delete the file server.json. Replace <username> with your actual Windows username.

Now try running app again. Hope it should run file now. Do update, if this works, then I can suggest a suitable BAT file.
Brother, as discussed will get back tomorrow.

Top Bottom