PIII 866 MHz. works like a 486 machine. Please help???

Status
Not open for further replies.

go4saket

Hello friends!

I have a computer with a PIII 866 MHz. processor, 128 MB SDRAM, 20 GB Segate HDD, VIA VT8601T motherboard and Windows 98SE as the OS. The problem is that since the last few days my computer has become very very slow. My first thought was that a virus can be a reason and therefore I deleted all partitions, created two new partition with 4 GB and 16 GB respectively. After formatting it with FAT32, I reinstalled Windows 98SE, but still no gain. The system seems to work like a 486 machine and hangs everytime I try to open two or three application at a time. Bare Windows 98SE without any other softwares installed takes more than 4 to 5 minutes to start and a 20 MB file takes about 2 minutes to be copied to the HDD from a CD.

I just dont understand why the hell is the system working so very slow. This all started after I gave my CPU to a hardware engineer recently to replace my SMPS and I dont know why, but I have a feeling that my HDD has been changed.

Now, what can be the reason behind all this. Is such a kind of problem arise due to faulty HDD or SMPS. If not, what can be the other reasons behind it. Is there any way to solve this problem. As per my view, I see no problem with the software settings as it is the same as they always used to be.

Please help...

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom