Phone under 15k for my mother

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Asus Zenfone Max Pro 1.
Man we should open up a discussion thread for the notch. So many lovers and haters here.

OP
D

deepanshuchg

Ambassador of Buzz
I was almost convinced to buy Asus Zenfone Max pro on this sale of fk coming on 25th but then I got to know it doesn't have Corning Gorilla Glass, whereas its counterpart Note 5 pro have it. I am not really familiar with these things so, does this Gorilla glass really helps the screen in drops?

I was almost convinced to buy Asus Zenfone Max pro on this sale of fk coming on 25th but then I got to know it doesn't have Corning Gorilla Glass, whereas its counterpart Note 5 pro have it. I am not really familiar with these things so, does this Gorilla glass really helps the screen in drops?
It does help a bit during drops but mostly its good aganist scratches if you are planning to use your phone without a screen guard. I used my S8 for about 9 months without a screen guard & it got 0 scratches, case helped with the few drops, i suppose.

Everyone uses a case on their phone + a screen protector (nowadays tempered glass) or just a tempered glass without a case.

My cousin uses Zenfone Max with a TPU case & screen guard (not glass) which I feel is fine.

Get a screen guard for Redmi Note 5 for Asus Zenfone as it fits & options for Asus aren't good. Don't do the same for a case.

OP
D

deepanshuchg

Ambassador of Buzz
It does help a bit during drops but mostly its good aganist scratches if you are planning to use your phone without a screen guard. I used my S8 for about 9 months without a screen guard & it got 0 scratches, case helped with the few drops, i suppose.

Everyone uses a case on their phone + a screen protector (nowadays tempered glass) or just a tempered glass without a case.

My cousin uses Zenfone Max with a TPU case & screen guard (not glass) which I feel is fine.

Get a screen guard for Redmi Note 5 for Asus Zenfone as it fits & options for Asus aren't good. Don't do the same for a case.
Okay, thank you. Today's its 500rs flat off on this plus 10% off on hdfc cards. Just trying to get hold of someone who has a hdfc and will order it today.

OP
D

deepanshuchg

Ambassador of Buzz
I received the phone today, the 32gb variant. First impression is great except the camera which I was aware of. I didn't want to spend another 5k for good camera on the 6gb version as it wasn't really a priority for me. Anyway, how can I buy Accidental Damage Protection for this?

I received the phone today, the 32gb variant. First impression is great except the camera which I was aware of. I didn't want to spend another 5k for good camera on the 6gb version as it wasn't really a priority for me. Anyway, how can I buy Accidental Damage Protection for this?
Flipkart was offering some protection which I couldn't buy when I ordered it for my cousin because of flash sale.

I don't think ADP is worth it for phones as the premium would be quite high. Use a tempered glass + case if you are worried

OP
D

deepanshuchg

Ambassador of Buzz
Flipkart was offering some protection which I couldn't buy when I ordered it for my cousin because of flash sale.

I don't think ADP is worth it for phones as the premium would be quite high. Use a tempered glass + case if you are worried

Yeah, I saw that too some days ago and its price was really low at that time. I couldn't find it when I ordered the phone either. Yep, will get a case and tempered glass either way. Do you think Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1 Full Glue Edge To Edge Glass will be any good? I got to know about this from a video which was sponsored so having doubt about it.

Yeah, I saw that too some days ago and its price was really low at that time. I couldn't find it when I ordered the phone either. Yep, will get a case and tempered glass either way. Do you think Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1 Full Glue Edge To Edge Glass will be any good? I got to know about this from a video which was sponsored so having doubt about it.
Seems good as they have provided pics for the same but I haven't heard about the website, so skeptical. As I said earlier, get tempered glass/screen protector of Redmi Note 5 (with a notch on top for sensors, etc).

siddhesh222

Journeyman
Well I'm not much aware of the cons of the device that makes you write 'NO' twice in all caps, maybe you could enlighten me as to why I should not buy it?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Well I'm not much aware of the cons of the device that makes you write 'NO' twice in all caps, maybe you could enlighten me as to why I should not buy it?
Despite having P60, Realme 1 has crap UI, lacks fingerprint scanner, would be stuck on Oreo forever and won't have good custom rom support (if at all).

siddhesh222

Journeyman
Thanks for you suggestion SaiyanGoku. I had already ordered the 3GB + 32GB variant for my mother, now I ordered black 4gb + 64GB variant for myself... lol but I won't lie, I still feel the temptation of Realme 1 as I'm not much into custom ROMs nowadays and don't value a fingerprint scanner placed at the back, much.

Does the Zenfone have good custom ROM support? I feel I should try tinkering around with some custom ROMs.

Thanks for you suggestion SaiyanGoku. I had already ordered the 3GB + 32GB variant for my mother, now I ordered black 4gb + 64GB variant for myself... lol but I won't lie, I still feel the temptation of Realme 1 as I'm not much into custom ROMs nowadays and don't value a fingerprint scanner placed at the back, much.

Does the Zenfone have good custom ROM support? I feel I should try tinkering around with some custom ROMs.
I would say the name Oppo is enough to stay from a phone. Their UI sucks, same is the case with Vivo & any other small manufacturer with a heavily customized UI like ZTE, etc.

Samsung, LG, Huawei/Honor & Xiaomi have pretty optimized UI despite being heavy, although something like a stock android or stock-based UIs like Oxygen OS of Oneplus or Sony's UI are considered better. A poorly optimized UI with lag & stutter with time, Samsung faced this a lot with their TouchWiz UI which they have renamed now basically to Samsung Experience.

As SaiyanGoku already said, lack of fingerprint sensor is another big con.

Lack of custom ROMs is something which most people won't care, maybe 90%, but a bad UI should be avoided when you have been warned. I used to do it on previous phones just to add features. My Nexus 4 ran the stock OS for barely a month, few months for other phones but my current phone is still running the stock OS for a year now. I might just root it to remove ads in future, custom ROMs, maybe not.

Zenfone may get custom ROM support in future or not, but stock android & vague promise by Asus to upgrade it to Android Q is a good sign. At least it should get Android Pie.

Minion

Conversation Architect
If you are spending around 15k Nokia 6.1 plus is a good device with awesome build quality if you hate notch then moto Z2 play is available for 15k with better camera

Last edited:

siddhesh222

Journeyman
IDK guys I'm seriously 2nd guessing my Zenfone purchase.. because for just 990 bucks more I could get the 6GB + 128GB variant of the Realme1... which even if it has a comparatively unoptimized UI.. will make it up with the 6GB RAM... not to mention the 128 GB storage.. From reviews the battery is also pretty optimized because of the AI present in the Helio P60.... My zenfone is about to be delivered today.. should I return it?

Is the UI SO IMPORTANT that I should value it over 6GB RAM + 128GB ROM?! And I don't get why people value the fingerprint scanner so much too... Is the Realme1 right for me?

Like even if it's stuck on Oreo... The mad specs won't make it lag, right? I'm so confused rn.

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
IDK guys I'm seriously 2nd guessing my Zenfone purchase.. because for just 990 bucks more I could get the 6GB + 128GB variant of the Realme1... which even if it has a comparatively unoptimized UI.. will make it up with the 6GB RAM... not to mention the 128 GB storage.. From reviews the battery is also pretty optimized because of the AI present in the Helio P60.... My zenfone is about to be delivered today.. should I return it?

Is the UI SO IMPORTANT that I should value it over 6GB RAM + 128GB ROM?! And I don't get why people value the fingerprint scanner so much too... Is the Realme1 right for me?

Like even if it's stuck on Oreo... The mad specs won't make it lag, right? I'm so confused rn.
If that's the case, spend 1k more and get RN5 Pro. :|
Yes, P60 is better than SD636 but if you look at what Realme 1 lacks for a 14k phone, it makes no sense in buying it. 6-7k phones have better UIs (10.or) and fingerprint scanner.
6-12 months later, there could be some weird software issue with Realme 1 and Oppo won't care about fixing it. It is oppo, what else can you expect. They launched Realme 2 (which is a huge downgrade) after 3 months. :lol:

Edit: Suppose there is a new laptop in the market and has great specs for the price (it has just 1 usb 1.0 port though). Then you see that manufacturer is micromax and they have refused to release any drivers for it. You have to keep using it with heavily modified bloated OS as you don't have any way to get admin access. Also, updates are controlled by micromax as they've removed windows update from it. Would you still buy it?

Last edited:
Top Bottom