Ambassador of Buzz
1. Budget?

2. Display type and size?
5+

3. Dual sim?
Yes

4. Preferred choice of brand?
None.

5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera)?
None.

6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc).
Android

7. Preferred connectivity options (3G, 4G ready).
4G

8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc)?
She'll mainly use it for WhatsApp, facebook and sometime hotstar and youtube app.

9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?
Realme 1, Redmi note 5 pro, moto g6, moto g6 play, Asus Zenfone max pro, honor 7x.

10. Any other info that you want to share.
USB type C would be preferred. Also if the phone is water resistant to some extent, it will be great. [Both these are optional]

IMO Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1 32GB at 11k will be more than enough for her, get 64GB one for more storage at 13k or 15k one for a better camera (6GB RAM is definitely useless for her). It has a dedicated SD card slot with 2 SIM slots, so storage won't be a big issue.

OP
D

deepanshuchg

Ambassador of Buzz
At the time of my post, the 11k version was out of stock. Now it's available and looks a nice deal since she won't be needing much storage either. But how are honor 7x (or some other within this range) compared to zenfone? Honor phones are good looking which can be a thing for her.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
At the time of my post, the 11k version was out of stock. Now it's available and looks a nice deal since she won't be needing much storage either. But how are honor 7x (or some other within this range) compared to zenfone? Honor phones are good looking which can be a thing for her.
In the longer run, looks won't matter but performance will. Get her Max Pro M1.

OP
D

deepanshuchg

Ambassador of Buzz
Nokia 6.1 Plus is just announced for 16k and will go live on 31st August. How does it compare to the above phones?

TheSloth

The Slowest One
OEMs advertising it as necessity and customers falling for that crap. They can't stop copying whatever stupid design decisions Apple makes.
So apart from the looks, there are no other issues in using the mobile conveniently? I asked cause i am seeing lots of post against this notch design. Or the problem is more something on the note like why the other companies has to follow Apple blindly?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
So apart from the looks, there are no other issues in using the mobile conveniently? I asked cause i am seeing lots of post against this notch design. Or the problem is more something on the note like why the other companies has to follow Apple blindly?
How'd you deal with the black cutout while watching full screen videos or while using the camera?

Samsung achieved higher screen to body ratio without a notch. So did Xiaomi with Mi Mix phones and LG with previous G series phones. Manufacturers think notch will make their phones look same as iphone x but even that has a bad design.

OP
D

deepanshuchg

Ambassador of Buzz
How'd you deal with the black cutout while watching full screen videos or while using the camera?

Samsung achieved higher screen to body ratio without a notch. So did Xiaomi with Mi Mix phones and LG with previous G series phones. Manufacturers think notch will make their phones look same as iphone x but even that has a bad design.
Since the notch can be removed at software end, do you feel anything less of this phone apart from the design?

Nokia 6.1 Plus is just announced for 16k and will go live on 31st August. How does it compare to the above phones?
Both Asus Zenfone & Redmi Note 5 Pro have a bigger battery, so better battery life. Nokia 6.1+ is an Android One phone, so expect faster updates in comparison (doesn't matter for your mother) & moreover it is a compact phone. So if your mother would prefer a compact phone, get her Nokia 6.1+, I'm sure she would be more satisfied with a Nokia phone rather than Asus or Xiaomi. Do tell her that she would sacrifice a bit on battery life (it should last her a full day, she won't be using it for gaming I guess) when compared to Asus Zenfone which is bigger but has a better battery life along with same stock experience.

Battery capacity is low when others have 4-5k mAh batteries. Also, even if notch can be "hidden" on software level, the cutout will be there.
It is a smaller phone physically, so expecting a 4000 mAh battery would be asking too much for the size. Its footprint is similar to S8/S9, obviously with a notch.

Minion

Conversation Architect
We do have an option to remove the notch on this Nokia phone on software end. Not sure how effective that is.
I would say go with nokia 6.1 camera is good and well nokia build quality is awesome. About notch why do you want to remove that notch I am using one plus 6 and hiding notch looks weird

I would say go with nokia 6.1 camera is good and well nokia build quality is awesome. About notch why do you want to remove that notch I am using one plus 6 and hiding notch looks weird

It makes the display unsymmetric. I would personally hide the notch with the black background, although I doubt notched phones will be there in future after say 2 years.

Top Bottom