Phone for my MOM (57 y.o) Need buying advice

Many people seek my advice for mobile phones. Most of their advices are pretty standard and usual, so i can help. However, once in a while i get requested to advice on a particular type of phone which is completely beyond my sphere of knowledge and experience.

And that person is my MOM

Firstly, her past experiences:

She is currently using Nokia Lumia 525 and a Brandless Android phone gifted to her. She is unhappy with the speed of the android phone and the cumbersomeness of the Lumia. She has used a Samsung Galaxy Core and Samsung Wave. She is one of the few women who HATES SAMSUNG and calls them golden tortoise (expensive and good looks but very slow) Faith in senior citizen restored ! And she really hates the phonebook/dialer on Windows phone

Her usage pattern

Lots of phone calls. She spends half of her waking hours calling up people. She is also into Whatsapp. Mostly Whatsapp groups.
Once in a while she takes photos of small children (is she indicating that she wants me to give her grandkids? oh no, helppp)

What she says she wants

Easy to use phone, but should be smartphone. Which lets her do Whatsapp, and make phonecalls. Good battery life. Bluetooth sending and receiving pictures (very important).
Should be the size of her existing phone (Lumia 525 and the cheapo android which is 4inch)

And most important it should be very fast. yea, kinda impossible at this price point but she wants speed. The last thing i want to happen is her buying this new phone and she notices its slow and she takes me as a bad adviser. She hates it when she wants to call someone and she has to wait 3-4 secs for phonebook to load (she has over 600+ contacts WTF) and then it takes another few seconds for the actual dialling to happen. Thanks Samsung for ruining my Mom's smartphone experience
Basically the phonebook/messaging/Whatsapp should be blazing fast. If it takes other apps an hour to load , its okay, it doesnt matter..those 3 are very very important cuz thats 99% of what she does with a phone

Her budget:

Approx Rs 6000 -7000 . May go a bit higher if its really worth it.

This has got to be the biggest challenge yet when it comes to tech advices. Plz help. Reputation is at stake !

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
You have 3 options and all are for 7k: Xiaomi Redmi 2, Lenovo A6000, Moto E (2015)

Redmi 2
Pros:
64 Bit SD410, better camera, removable battery, 720p screen resolution

Cons: Runs MIUI which IMO is just sloooooooowwwww compared to AOSP roms and resource hungry. No idea of official update to lollipop.

Lenovo A6000
Pros:
64 Bit SD410, better camera, removable battery, 720p screen resolution

Cons:
No idea of official update to lollipop

Moto E (2015)
Pros: Android Lollipop, higher 2390 mAh battery.

Cons: 32 bit SD200, 540p screen resolution, substandard back camera, VGA front camera, records only upto 720p videos on back camera. (basically underpowered version of Moto G (2013) )

$hadow

Geek in making
I would pick moto e 2nd gen. And for some one as old as your mother I would say getting windows phone is a far better option.

OP
mikael_schiffer

mikael_schiffer

Padawan
Guys she needs small phone ya. She finds the old moto g too big. She is a small lady, maybe 5 ft 1 inch so u can imagine the size of her hand. She wants smthing the size of Xperia M.. All the phones mentioned by u all are too big

$hadow

Geek in making
Guys she needs small phone ya. She finds the old moto g too big. She is a small lady, maybe 5 ft 1 inch so u can imagine the size of her hand. She wants smthing the size of Xperia M.. All the phones mentioned by u all are too big

Lumia 400 series is 4 inch I guess.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Lumia 535 is a great buy,try getting her to try it out
Lumia 525 screen and ram was what must have put her off,WP is great for older people
even Moto E and Zenfone are nice

LeoTechLion

Broken In
What about Androidone!??
My mother has it. she also uses the phone for same thing : WhatsApp, Facebook, pictures, videos and phone calls. I suggest you go for spice dream uno, it comes loaded with stock Android kitkat 4.4.4 and promises lollipop update. I find this phone better for such people.

Sent from my Spice Mi-498 using Digit, powered by appyet.com

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Android one isnt worth it when Moto E is there for the same price
Windows Phone is also better to navigate etc for older people and is a no-hassles OS
My grandad himself had a Moto G which he found tough to use,he then bought a 720 instead later on and found it easier to operate etc

also if you care for after sales,dont get android one handsets because after sales is nearly non-existent
atleast with Nokia/MS or even Moto you have piece of mind that older people wont have to run around to get the phone serviced or if they need help etc

Top Bottom