Phone for Dad less than 10K suggestion

Soumik

Padawan
Hi Guys,

I am planning to buy a new phone for my dad. He is using something from Jurassic period. I am currently in US, but returning in March. Am planning to buy from India as i dont feel phones are cheaper here, unless am getting some 2 yr old flagship device. And i have no idea which phones are good right now in Indian market (small brands included).
So, his requirements are like this:
  • Should be very well built. Can take dust and sweat and lil falling off. (Not really IP certfied, but should be able to withstand a little abuse).
  • Should be about 4" or less. He used a 4" device and said anything he cant handle anything bigger.
  • Should be very easy to use. All he needs is messaging and make and taking phone calls. Although i am planning to set up wifi at home, so he might view emails on phone after that.
  • Should have a decent camera. Any decent 5MP would do fine, and win me over a crappy 8MP shooter.

OS is not restricted, but i would like to have it restricted to WP and Android. Not a fan of feature phones unless they have super features.

Thanks in advance :).

In India, Lumia 525 costs just under 10k, so it seems to be your best bet
Other options are from local manufacturers, but they have 4.5" screen.
Options in Android is Xperia M @ 11k, which is good but a bit above your budget

Last edited:

rish1

Cyborg Agent
i would say go for lumia 620 instead .. it will cost you around 11.5k

it has 3.8 inch screen and a very very good 5 mp camera also the screen quality is very good

build quality + call quality + a very good 5 MP camera + Nokia..

Nokia Lumia 620 review: Auxiliary troops - GSMArena.com

Most other phones will suck in camera department..

if you cannot increase your budget then go with lumia 520 instead for 7500 .. buying lumia 525 won;t make much sense in your case..

OP
Soumik

Soumik

Padawan
Thanks guys. I guess WP options are better than Android options right now. I dont have any idea for the build quality of these 5xx and 6xx devices. I have used a 920, and that seemed really good, though it was heavy as a brick.
I saw the comparision between 520, 525, 620 and 625.
625 is 4.7" so cancelled out.
525 over 520 seemed just a 1 gb ram instead of 512 mb. TBH, i dont think my dad will ever notice such a difference with his typical usage. If he really starts using loads of features, i would buy him a better device then, and i highly doubt that would ever happen.
So, remaining with 520 and 620.
Both have same camera, ram and chipset.
620 over 520 : A smaller yet much better screen. Slightly less wide, so better to grip.
520 over 620 : Slightly bigger but worse screen. Slightly thinner and lighter. Much lesser price.
Not sure if am missing anything.
I dont think my dad would need a CBD display, but the slight less width might make it good. But the price difference seems to be too much for it. I know its for CBD, but that wont make any impression on my dad am sure. :D

Are there any other device to consider? I know MWC is going on, but i doubt anything good will come out of it anytime soon. I really wish though that Asus Zenfone 4 would be out by then. That seemed a really high value for money device. Still awaiting any review though.

rish1

Cyborg Agent
Thanks guys. I guess WP options are better than Android options right now. I dont have any idea for the build quality of these 5xx and 6xx devices. I have used a 920, and that seemed really good, though it was heavy as a brick.
I saw the comparision between 520, 525, 620 and 625.
625 is 4.7" so cancelled out.
525 over 520 seemed just a 1 gb ram instead of 512 mb. TBH, i dont think my dad will ever notice such a difference with his typical usage. If he really starts using loads of features, i would buy him a better device then, and i highly doubt that would ever happen.
So, remaining with 520 and 620.
Both have same camera, ram and chipset.
620 over 520 : A smaller yet much better screen. Slightly less wide, so better to grip.
520 over 620 : Slightly bigger but worse screen. Slightly thinner and lighter. Much lesser price.
Not sure if am missing anything.
I dont think my dad would need a CBD display, but the slight less width might make it good. But the price difference seems to be too much for it. I know its for CBD, but that wont make any impression on my dad am sure. :D

Are there any other device to consider? I know MWC is going on, but i doubt anything good will come out of it anytime soon. I really wish though that Asus Zenfone 4 would be out by then. That seemed a really high value for money device. Still awaiting any review though.

i also said the same thing.. but the camera difference between 520 and 620 is too much.. 620 takes much more clear pictures and with great detail.. also it has a flash.. chk gsmarena reviews.. don't go by MP

and the screen as well has much more punchy colours .. 520 screen is washed out

the thing is in android you won't get a good camera ,

iSLaND

Broken In
My Pick from android : Sony Xperia U - 3.5 inch, Android 2.3, 5MP back cam, 1GHz Dual core, 512 MB
Else there is always Nokia Lumia 520. I don't think 525 is worth that extra.

My Pick from android : Sony Xperia U - 3.5 inch, Android 2.3, 5MP back cam, 1GHz Dual core, 512 MB
Else there is always Nokia Lumia 520. I don't think 525 is worth that extra.

Xperia U? Seriously??
Xperia M is much better at 11k

Lumia 620 also has a front cam, i suppose

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
xperia u is not even 3.5 inch despite the specs. be prepared to squint your eyes a lot if u get that :p

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Get a lumia 525 or 520 or 720 IMO they are much better than android and have nearly zero hassles compared to android
I was a droid head till last year and I got my own parents lumia 720 and 820 both of them love it and they both used to have galaxy note 2s earlier which they hated after 2 weeks of usage and used them as spare phones after a while
The 520 and 720 are great bang for the buck devices and have the best cameras in a phone , the battery life of the 720 is 2 days with my fathers usage whereas in android he always got 4-6hrs max
As for user interface and stuff, windows phone will take a day or so to get used to but it's simple for a person of ages 45 and 75 too(my grandad also has a 720 on my advice :D )

OP
Soumik

Soumik

Padawan
Thanks a lot guys. I will surely consider this while buying the phone. I have abandoned the thought of buying an android for him.
WP IMO too is a lot simpler Ui which elder ppl will find ease getting used to.
Strangely, my mom uses Huawei Y300 android phone with ease. Though not as a smartphone, but as a normal phone, she has no problem making calls from phonebook, or sending sms s. And am sure my dad is better in understanding tech than her. :p But since he didnt like that phone at all, its not an option for me.
I will mostly be going for a 520, unless i get too excited abt 720 with i see them in hand.

Thanks a lot guys :)

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Thanks a lot guys. I will surely consider this while buying the phone. I have abandoned the thought of buying an android for him.
WP IMO too is a lot simpler Ui which elder ppl will find ease getting used to.
Strangely, my mom uses Huawei Y300 android phone with ease. Though not as a smartphone, but as a normal phone, she has no problem making calls from phonebook, or sending sms s. And am sure my dad is better in understanding tech than her. :p But since he didnt like that phone at all, its not an option for me.
I will mostly be going for a 520, unless i get too excited abt 720 with i see them in hand.

Thanks a lot guys :)
np buddy hope he likes it! :)

Top Bottom