Performance Desktop under 80K

adikumar2010

Journeyman
I want to build a performance desktop. I won't be gaming on it at the moment. I usually don't buy new computer before 6-7 years. My last 2 desktop both lasted 8 years each without upgrading CPU & Mobo (Only RAM + Storage I added)

I have some parts from old build -
1) Case : NZXT GUARDIAN 921 Guardian 921 Mid tower Steel Chassis ATX
2) PSU : Corsiar VX-550W

My budget is around 70K. The software that I use mostly eat up decent amount of CPU resources and read/write lot on the drives. I don't need any separate GPU at the moment, but onboard GPU whether it is on CPU or on Mobo should be decent enough to handle day to day tasks like playing two 4K videos simultenously, etc.

I usually buy a solid motherboard & CPU then upgrade components like extra RAM, GPU, NVME SSD, etc over the years.

I need the following things :

1. CPU
a) Probably Intel : Reason being is that I don't want to invest in GPU as of now and all AMD APU's are not very powerful as CPU's. I was looking for a AMD APU but all of them are average on the CPU raw power. If I want to get top end CPU from AMD it will not have graphics on it.
b) Won't be overclocking
e) Why can I not find locked CPU (without K) like Intel Core i9-9900 or Intel Core i7-9700 online in Indian market. Why pay extra $50 to get K series processor if I will never OC it. Also with most K series processor you need to buy Cooling solution separetely (Probably will have to goto Nehru Place, Delhi to find it)

2. Motherboard :
a) Which has as at least 2 X PCIEx16 slots, incase I plan to to add 2 GPUs or intel optane or maybe some pcie 4.0 NVME drives in future.
b) Minimum 3 X M2.PCIE slots so I can add more NVME SSD later or intel optane.
c) Type C USB 3.1 Gen2 port in REAR.
d) Built in Wifi that can atleast support 1 Gbps internet connection. And do not share bandwidth with USB ports like on some Gigabyte Mobos.
e) At least 2 display out (HDMI or Display Port doesn't matter)
f) Is there any motherboard that has onboard graphics like back in the old days or they just stopped doing it completely.

3. SSD PCIE NVME :
a) 512 GB minimum
b) Should have very good read/write speeds

4. RAM :
a) Fastest RAM I can get with lowest timings. I think DDR4-2666 is max.
b) 16GB : I am not sure if it's better to get 8 X 2 sticks or just one. Problem is most ATX Mobo will have 4 slots and if I fill 2 of them up now than ONLY 2 are left empty (But I do understand the benefits of using RAM in dual channel)
c) If I buy 2 X 8GB stick now. Can I later add 2 X 16GB or do they have to be 2 X 8GB sticks?

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Yes, you can add two 16 gigs later. It will work fine.
There is not much price difference between 2666mhz and 3000/3200mhz ram sticks.

Wrt motherboard, I think you should find that yourself. There are too many features/criteria to look for.
Up to my knowledge, No. Motherboard nowadays don't come with iGPU. It's in CPU or have to get a dedicated one.

Non K CPUs not launched in India, I guess or at least I haven't come across any listings. In fact, it's not widely available in the international market as well.

Instead of spending over 40k+ for 9900k and after market cooler, why not spend half that for 3600x and dGPU which likely to cost less than Intel combo and performance is about the same.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Get Ryzen 3600 with a used graphics card like 1050Ti(within warranty going for ~6-7k nowadays,in delhi lots of options on olx or get it from erodov forum bazaar section),seeing your mentioned usage you probably won't even need anything higher(graphics card I mean) for next few years.Intel mobo availability is a big issue after standard 3 years warranty not to mention ryzen 3xxx processors are now equal/better than many intel processors. Check out this mobo available for 16.9k on primeabgb TUF GAMING X570-PLUS | Motherboards | ASUS Global It does not have inbuilt wifi but you can always buy usb wifi or pcie wifi adapter for that.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Don't consider Intel if you want PCIE gen 4 support. Even those nvme drives aren't worth it. As for optane, it isn't worth the price. Just use the money on a better nvme drive (like Silicon Power P34A80 which is a TLC drive instead of Intel 660p which is a QLC drive).

Adding 2 GPUs is not worth it unless you need more power than a RTX Titan. Also, you are asking for 2*16 (GPU) + 3*4 (nvme) = 44 PCIe lanes which no mainstream CPU supports (except Threadripper which again is HEDT). Intel CPUs have 16 lanes, ryzen cpus have 24 lanes. Going with HEDT intel mobos doesn't works as they have 44 lanes max IIRC and those are enabled only when you use the highest supported CPU.

No mobo comes with an onboard GPU now.

PS: Playing two 4k videos simultaneously isn't a day-to-day task. Nobody does that (except for content creators maybe).

Last edited:
OP
adikumar2010

adikumar2010

Journeyman
So far I have these 2 items from old build :
1) Case : NZXT GUARDIAN 921 Guardian 921 Mid tower Steel Chassis ATX
2) PSU : Corsiar VX-550W

And these are the components I have decided :
1) CPU : Ryzen 5 3600 (16k)
2) Mobo : ASRock X570 STEEL LEGEND WIFI (21k)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
GPU :
Everyone is saying GTX 1660 is the best value for money under 17K. I was thinking of GTX 1060 3GB or RX 570 to save some money, but GTX 1660 I think would be better buy for long term point of view and I won't need to upgrade GPU soon.
But I am not sure which model to get there are so many brands in the market and every brand has so many models like OC, AMP, Gaming, Extreme, etc etc Editions. Please let me know which one to get :

1) Inno3d GeForce GTX 1660 Twin X2 (1785mhz) - Rs.17,200 (Vedant)
2) Zotac Gaming GeForce GTX 1660 (1785mhz) - Rs.17,200 (PCshop)
3) Galax GeForce GTX 1660 (1 Click OC) (1815mhz) - Rs.16,800 (primeABGB)
4) MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ventus XS OC 6GB (1830mhz) - Rs.17,900 (Techmart, MDcomputers, Vedant)
5) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6GB (1830mhz) - Rs.18,200 (Starcomp)
6) Zotac Gaming GeForce GTX 1660 AMP (1845mhz) - Rs.19,400 (MDcomputers, Vedant, PCshop, StarComp)

SSD :
I need SSD NVME 1TB for around 12K. I did some research and mostly all performance SSD are around 20K or more. I don't want to compromise on read/write speed so I don't want any budget SSD. Please suggest if there are any models that would fit the budget.
If there are no ultra-fast 1TB SSD under 12K then I will drop down to 500GB SSD for now.

RAM :
I need 8 X 2 = 16GB. Whatever fastest I can get under 10K.
In the research I did they all said that getting better/faster/shiny RAM only has like very tiny bit advantage so it's not worth paying premium for those exclusive ultra expensive RAMs and better use that money for some other components.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
First of all,where are you getting Asrock X570 Steel Legend wifi for 21k. Second of all,do you prefer integrated wifi so much that you are willing to buy a inferior board(Asus Tuf Gaming Plus X570 has better VRMs than Asrock Steel Legend).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Always prefer asus(for their better after sales support)/Zotac(for their 5 years warranty--2+extra 3 years on online registration of card within 28 days of purchase) for nvidia cards.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buy Online Intel 1TB 660P NVMe M.2 Internal SSD SSDPEKNW010T801 In India
The Intel SSD 660p SSD Review: QLC NAND Arrives For Consumer SSDs
In the real world, it is very rare for a consumer drive to need to accept tens or hundreds of GB of writes without interruption. Even the installation of a very large video game can mostly fit within the SLC cache of the 1TB 660p when the drive is not too full, and the steady-state write performance is pretty close to the highest rate data can be streamed into a computer over gigabit Ethernet. When copying huge amounts of data off of another SSD or sufficiently fast hard drive(s) it is possible to approach the worst-case performance our benchmarks have revealed, but those kind of jobs already last long enough that the user will take a coffee break while waiting.

Intel SSD 660p review: Quad Level Cell (QLC/4-bit) NAND makes its debut
My impression from Intel’s discussion and white paper, was that the drive should perform well during long transfers until it’s close to being filled. But I was into only my second internal (from the 660p to the 660p) copy of 96GB when write speed plummeted to 95MBps - 100MBps. After the first occurrence, speeds dropped far sooner. Giving the drive time to do housekeeping—that is, move the cache contents to QLC—did help. But it took a while and won’t help you if you need to write a lot of data.

This slowdown occurred after approximately 80GB had been copied, but subsequently, with the less free space (still over 600GB), the drops happened far sooner during copies.

The truth is, most users will never see that 100MBps write speed, and while on cache, the 660p is quite a bit faster than any other budget NVMe SSD we’ve tested. Because of that, I still consider it a bargain and a boon for the budget shopper.

If you don't copy paste 60gb+ of data in a single instance from another ssd then 660p is best option. If you absolutely want the best performance even if you probably never going to use it then get this Buy Online ADATA XPG 512GB SX8200 Pro PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 SSD ASX8200PNP-512GT-C In India

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With ryzen 3xxx one should get at least 3200MHz ram. ADATA XPG GAMMIX D30 DDR4 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4 3200MHZ (AX4U320038G16-DR30) RAM

OP
adikumar2010

adikumar2010

Journeyman
1) I am getting that price from a shop in Nehru place. I used to buy from that shop regular and mostly he gives me unbeatable price. I been to the market last week and I was getting cheaper price on any component (you name it) compared to online website (I did look up 16 indian websites).
Like Ryzen 3600 I am getting for 15,900 . You cant find that price online. Mostly all stuff is cheaper their, even I didn't believe it.

2) If I give up Wi-Fi I found out 6 options in India and these are the results as per my research.

Msi X570-A Pro - 16,000 (No idea of performance)
Asus TUF-GAMING X570 PLUS - 16,680 (Best VRM)
MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS - 16,400 (No idea)
Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE - 18,000 (Good VRM)
MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI - 19,300 (Worst VRM)
ASRock X570 STEEL LEGEND WIFI - 21,000 (Average VRM)

There are lot more mobos but so many are not in India like you can't get Asus TUF-GAMING X570 PLUS WIFI Model (it's only like $10 more in US compared to Asus TUF-GAMING X570 PLUS) And Gigabyte Aorus Elite WIFI Model ($20 more compared to Gigabyte Aorus Elite NON Wifi) both are not available here.

3) Problem is a good wifi card with 1Gbps speed (I have 1gbps internet) or more would cost me like 3.5k that's why I thought I should get ASRock X570 STEEL LEGEND WIFI it's like 4.2K extra then Asus TUF. But if you strongly recommend that I should go for Asus TUF no matter what then I will do that and buy wi-fi card separate.

4) For GPU :
These 2 are same price around 16,800:
Inno3d GeForce GTX 1660 Twin X2 (1785mhz)
Galax GeForce GTX 1660 (1 Click OC) (1815mhz)

Zotac Gaming GeForce GTX 1660 (1785mhz) is what I was also thinking because of 5 year warranty. Only downside is that the core clock is at stock/reference speed and I will have to manually OC it.

5) For SSD :
Maybe I could get this Silicon Power P34A80 for 11.5K (primeabgb) like SaiyanGoku suggested above.
Just one issue with it is the very Low endurance so more prone to failure. Other then that it offer performance (Sequential Reads/Writes: 3,400MBps/3,000MBps ) same as expensive drives for half the cost.
Review : Anandtech & Toms

6) RAM :
Mostly Ryzen 3rd gen peak perform with 3200mhz & 3600mhz (You get 3-4% better performance compared to 3200mhz at most in real world tasks)
Also 3600mhz is like 4.5K extra so it might not be worth getting it for just 3% performance boost.

The RAM you said is out of stock but I might find it in Nehru Place. It's top value. I was reading some stuff and people said that if you want to OC RAM then go for Samsung B-die RAM as they are Ryzen friendly. I don't know how big of a deal that is.

In short most RAMs with B-die are 3000 CL14 or 3200 CL14/15 or 3600 CL15/16/17/18

Problem is most easily available RAM in India for 3200mhz are CL16 under 10K.

I got list of those B-die RAMs :
Best RAM & Memory Timings for Ryzen 3000 CPUs | PremiumBuilds
Best DDR4 Ram Kits for AMD Ryzen 5 and 7 Processors – 3200MHz + Memory Speeds
Best RAM for Ryzen 3000? : Amd

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Zotac Gaming GeForce GTX 1660 (1785mhz) is what I was also thinking because of 5 year warranty. Only downside is that the core clock is at stock/reference speed and I will have to manually OC it.
You don't need to overclock unless you are getting frequent stuttering and framedrops. IIRC, GPU will boost as much as possible until it has thermal headroom. The 2060 in my selenite boosts to 1900 MHz easily and max I've seen is 1965 MHz. I haven't played with GPU clocks or voltages. I believe it can boost more if I repaste with liquid metal and use it in an AC room.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's the shop name?I will save it for future reference.

Cheapest 802.11AX router currently on amazon India costs ~26k(Asus RT-AX88U) so I don't see much point in spending specifically for Wifi 6 mobo.Without AX router there is no difference between using this & AC wifi adapters/cards. Also you say your internet is 1gbps but what wifi router are you using with it. Also even if it is 1gbps connection doesn't mean you will be able to get 1gbps(~100MB/s) download speeds all the time & from any site/torrent not to mention this probably comes with a FUP. It is practically not possible to get 1gbps speeds over wifi unless using extremely costly wifi router(AX standard) & similarly costly wifi cards so it is better to just use lan for anything nearing 1gbps speed.

Unless you are transferring 100 of GBs of data daily consisting of large files(say 4gb+) you will never notice the difference between various good NVMe ssd unless checking with an electronic stopwatch.Silicon Power seems good but have you checked how is its after sales support in India.Also TBW has nothing to do with reliability of a drive,the most basic rule of any storage device is that always assume it can fail at any time so always have a backup of important data.

As for ram you can buy two of these but better hurry as these seems to be likely to go out of stock too. ADATA XPG GAMMIX D30 8GB (8GBX1) DDR4 3200MHZ RAM

OP
adikumar2010

adikumar2010

Journeyman
Wifi always confuses me,
Even with 802.11ac Wave 2 you can achieve speed upto 1.73gbps considering you have supported device. So don't need 802.11ax /wifi 6.

upload_2019-8-26_22-47-25.png

Anyways the router I have gives me 866mbps if I am in same room, as it's cheap like Rs.2500 so it's okay as it supports max 80mhz bandwidth

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shop name :

upload_2019-8-27_0-51-42.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Silicon Power has service centers in Delhi and has 5 years warranty. I think no issue just it's unpopular brand so was worrying about SSD failure rate.

Also is it fine if I get RAM separate coz in rare situations they might not work together. That's why people always recommend to buy in a kit !

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Theoretical does not equal practical,This router currently costs 24k on amazon & it still cannot achieve 1000mbps even when using 5GHz.
ASUS RT-AC5300 Wireless-AC5300 Tri-Band Gigabit Router Reviewed - SmallNetBuilder - Results from #2

You say you get 866mbps in same room but have you tested it by copying some 10gb+ data over wifi & then divide the data in MB by time in seconds(e.g. with 866mbps you should get (866/8)=108MB/s approx which means in 1 minute you should be able to transfer ~6GB).

Chances of same brand same model ram not working together is very rare(only case I know of here in India is the corsair vengeance lpx series when they changed chip manufacturer between ver 3.x & ver 5.x of same model & that was around ryzen 1st gen launch) & if your luck is that bad then ram would be the least of your worries.

OP
adikumar2010

adikumar2010

Journeyman
Theoretical does not equal practical,This router currently costs 24k on amazon & it still cannot achieve 1000mbps even when using 5GHz.
ASUS RT-AC5300 Wireless-AC5300 Tri-Band Gigabit Router Reviewed - SmallNetBuilder - Results from #2

You say you get 866mbps in same room but have you tested it by copying some 10gb+ data over wifi & then divide the data in MB by time in seconds(e.g. with 866mbps you should get (866/8)=108MB/s approx which means in 1 minute you should be able to transfer ~6GB).

Chances of same brand same model ram not working together is very rare(only case I know of here in India is the corsair vengeance lpx series when they changed chip manufacturer between ver 3.x & ver 5.x of same model & that was around ryzen 1st gen launch) & if your luck is that bad then ram would be the least of your worries.

I can't do this test coz I have only 1 device as of now which supports 866mbps over wifi other laptop is old and has 150mbps limit.

I need 2 devices to be connected at 866mbps same speed with same router to test this out. I will do it after I buy this new desktop.

Also all the ethernet cables I have are Cat5, I have one cat5e cable but its twisted so it's downgraded to cat5 speed by itself . I will need new Cat5e or Cat6 cable with the desktop to get 1000mbps connection with router.

upload_2019-8-27_1-47-27.png

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't do this test coz I have only 1 device as of now which supports 866mbps over wifi other laptop is old and has 150mbps limit.

I need 2 devices to be connected at 866mbps same speed with same router to test this out. I will do it after I buy this new desktop.

Also all the ethernet cables I have are Cat5, I have one cat5e cable but its twisted so it's downgraded to cat5 speed by itself . I will need new Cat5e or Cat6 cable with the desktop to get 1000mbps connection with router.

View attachment 18272
Connection speed shown in windows is only standard theoretical value reported by router but you will never achieve it in real life.Don't waste time or money on this & just see the performance test results on smallnetbuilder.com for similar standard router(like AC 1200/1300/1900/3200 etc). Cat5e cables are good enough for 1gbps,cat6 are mainly used for 10gbps lan or when you need good insulation to prevent interference from nearby electric/magnetic devices(usually not required for a typical home user). Router also needs to have gigabit lan ports & gigabit wan port(for 1gbps internet connection). Btw which provider's connection is this anyway.

OP
adikumar2010

adikumar2010

Journeyman
Connection speed shown in windows is only standard theoretical value reported by router but you will never achieve it in real life.Don't waste time or money on this & just see the performance test results on smallnetbuilder.com for similar standard router(like AC 1200/1300/1900/3200 etc). Cat5e cables are good enough for 1gbps,cat6 are mainly used for 10gbps lan or when you need good insulation to prevent interference from nearby electric/magnetic devices(usually not required for a typical home user). Router also needs to have gigabit lan ports & gigabit wan port(for 1gbps internet connection). Btw which provider's connection is this anyway.

I have D-Link DIR-825AC and ISP : ACT Fibrenet & Spectra both are good in my area so far.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is AC1200 router so max speeds will be ~250mbps over wifi if you sit near to router. Spectra gives 1gbps connection ul but with 6 months & 1 year package. ACT gigabit connection seems to come with 500-1000gb FUP I think.

OP
adikumar2010

adikumar2010

Journeyman
It is AC1200 router so max speeds will be ~250mbps over wifi if you sit near to router. Spectra gives 1gbps connection ul but with 6 months & 1 year package. ACT gigabit connection seems to come with 500-1000gb FUP I think.

I am already using ACT 150mbps its 1200 GB per month, it's okay but not much as games these days are 100GB size in average.

Spectra is 1gbps and unlimited if u pay for 1 year. I usually pay for 1 year together so I can get discount and free months, etc.

OP
adikumar2010

adikumar2010

Journeyman
I was thinking of upgrading my crappy monitor also its AOC I2769VM

What options do I have for above 30" and 21:9 aspect ratio under 30K ?

PS : I don't prefer 16:9 for more then 27" monitor because of the height of display being too much. So you have to look high up in the sky and it hurts the neck.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
21:9 is only good for movies,try watching 16:9 content(which is the most available format nowadays) on a 21:9 screen(take some 1080p 16:9 clips on pendrive to showroom) before deciding anything.

Top Bottom